Orville by Gibson: Replacement Bridge, Tail and Tuners

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The batlord

Reaction score
Hello. I have tried to search the forum already but I either recieve too many hits or none on topic. If there is a thread already in existence discussing the options and model numbers please direct me to the link.

The time has come to replace the tuners, saddles and/or bridges on my live guitars. The tuners have taken a beating over the years and are starting to slip. The bridges are OK but the saddles are pretty chewed now. I might just replace the saddles but if a replacement bridge will increase performance and tone I will certainly have a look at that option. Ditto for a replacement tailpiece. I seem to recal a forum member manufactured and sold replacement tailpieces but I cannot recall who it was.

The first guitar is a ObG Custom Reissue and the other is an ObG Standard. The Custom has a the ABR-1 bridge and grover style tulip tuners. The Standard has a Nashville bridge and Kluson style tuners. I would like to keep the tunders the same style and avoid drilling any holes. I would actually prefer to have ABR-1s on both guitars. I am pretty sure there are options to change over the Nashville to an ABR-1.

I was thinking of going with Gotoh as I am pretty sure that is stock on these Orvilles and they have worked well up until recently. They certainly have alot of miles on them now. They are certainly better priced than Tonepros as well. That said I would not mind any advice or experience you might share.

I would certainly like to know which models are going to be drop in fits without modifying the guitar. There are so many options for each style and brand that I can see myself ordering the wrong model.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am just sharing my experience here with you, hope this is of help.

I too changed my bridges on my Orville and OBG, and I choose the Gotoh ABR style bridge for both. Please note that in my experience a Gibson ABR bridge will not fit!

For tailpieces I recommend you change to alluminium tailpieces. They enhance the clarity

For the kluson style replacement tuners, just take one from your guitar and the see how it looks, then compare it with the ones on a Kluson type website. If you are not sure, compare the one that you have taken out with information from from the Wilkinson website. There should be a drawing (you can even check ebay, there is a UK seller that has the drawing on his ad).

I can't give you any advise on the Tulip tuners but if you take on of those out and see if the kluson one would fit, then you can apply the knowledge of the wilkinson drawing.

Here is a website that has a.o. the drawing of the Kluson style tuner from Wilkinson. That was the dimension that fitted my ObG and Orville exactly.

http://www.guitar-parts-depot.com/guitar/wilkinson-kluson-style-machine-heads.html

However, if you can, buy yourself Gibson Delux tuners (but they need to come off an existing guitar (ebay item) because the new ones don't fit. You need a smooth piston and the bushing needs to be separated. A lot of the tuners will have a bushing or some sort of ring attached to the piston and those you don't need (for the standard model).

Just have a look at what you have now fitted on the guitar and all will be clear.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joop

Hi Batlord,

I bought some new Gotoh SD90 tuners and they dropped right into my Obg Les Paul std without any trouble at all.

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks for the info.

For those that may be looking to do the same, I ended up purchasing these parts from StewMac and they all worked:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Vintage_Keystone-style_Tuners.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.html

Now I need your assisstance again!

My Orville by Gibson needs a replacement jack plate. I think the StewMac product should work as well. Before I ordered I thought I would ask if anyone has replaced there jack plate with any success.

I've replaced jack-plates on Orvilles, Grecos and Tokais with various jackplates I had lying around from different sources, they all fitted fine and the screw holes all lined up perfectly. I'm pretty sure thay are all the same.

I ordered one from eBay that was neither curved nor flexible. I do not think Epiphone replacement parts have the holes drilled the same distance apart either.

Back