Burny headstocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

januz

Reaction score
Hi,

New to Burnys so I?ll start with my first question:

How come that some headstocks only have the name "Burny" on them

images-1.jpg

while others also have an inlay

321_1255850515.jpg

Are the ones with the inlay a more expensive model or something?

januz said:
Hi,

New to Burnys so I?ll start with my first question:

How come that some headstocks only have the name "Burny" on them

Are the ones with the inlay a more expensive model or something?

No no no! :) The 1980-81 FLG models, generally considered the best of the best, did not have any logo ("Les Paul" or "Super Grade"). The "Super Grade" logo appeared on those same guitars in '82, after which Burny expanded their LP line a bit. Sometime much later, they issued some models again without the logo... like this one which is, I think, a Slash model... someone correct me if I'm wrong.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BURNY-LP-VH-1-x-2-guitar-MIJ-Vintage-Burst-NITRO_W0QQitemZ170296068247QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item27a66fc897

Burny started to have "Super Grade" on the headstock since 1981.

It has the flower, because it's mine. :D

It's not a Les Paul model, it's a RSA model (ES-335 model), that's why the headstock is different.

le juge said:
It has the flower, because it's mine. :D

It's not a Les Paul model, it's a RSA model (ES-335 model), that's why the headstock is different.

But there are 335s without the "flower" as well!

burny_rsa55bs.jpg

img10312854515.jpg

How do they differ from the ones with the "flower"?

They are chinese models, mine is a vintage japanese model.
The picture you have put on your previous message is the headstock of mine, where did you find it ?

le juge said:
The picture you have put on your previous message is the headstock of mine, where did you find it ?

OK, so Burnys without the "flower" on the headstock are Chinese then :-?

Regarding the picture of the headstock of your guitar, I found it in a post on this site.

Ikkyu said:
Burny started to have "Super Grade" on the headstock since 1981.
You're right. I stand corrected... it was just 1980 with no Super Grade logo... per the catalogs anyway.

januz said:
le juge said:

OK, so Burnys without the "flower" on the headstock are Chinese then :-?

Regarding the picture of the headstock of your guitar, I found it in a post on this site.
The Chinese models are the ones with the 3 screw TRC that looks like a big leaf.

3pupLPC said:
The Chinese models are the ones with the 3 screw TRC that looks like a big leaf.

So there are Japanese vintage 335 Burnys without the "flower inlay" then?

januz said:
3pupLPC said:

So there are Japanese vintage 335 Burnys without the "flower inlay" then?

You started you post about Burny guitars in general..... now it's 335's without the emblem? Which is it?

Burny's come with various things on the headstock. Here's just a few from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burny-LC70-JS-Black-Custom-LP-Guitar-MIJ-80s_W0QQitemZ320442370813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4a9bda8afd

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burny-Super-Grade-LP-Standard-Black-Guitar-MIJ-1980s_W0QQitemZ220505359619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item335724c503

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=burny+guitar&_sacat=619

http://cgi.ebay.com/BURNY-70S-LP-JR-SUNBUST-JAPAN-MADE_W0QQitemZ350186035152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5188b6d7d0

marcusnieman said:
You started you post about Burny guitars in general..... now it's 335's without the emblem? Which is it?

My initial question was about Burnys in general, but I?ve now realised that the headstocks are different from model to model.

I?ll narrow my question down to the 335s:

Did the Japanese 80?s early 90?s 335s ever come without the emblem on the headstock?

le juge said:
Yes, they have a split flower.

Did they ever come without the split flower with only "Burny" on them?

I need to know before I dare to buy anything.

januz said:
I need to know before I dare to buy anything.

We've all found that while it's possible to definitively say yes they do or no they don't, there are always exceptions to the rule - custom runs, one off guitars, etc.

I'd advise that if you find something you are considering buying, post pics here for review and comment.

I?ve been testing this guitar and I have no doubts about this one.
Still I do not know which model it is as there?s no sticker in it...
(Suppose that it?s one of the lower models.)
The seller says that it has VH-1 PUs and that it must have been made before -86.

burnyes1.jpg

burnyes3.jpg

burnyes5.jpg

burnyes6.jpg

So far so good.

I?ve also been offered a guitar - that is said to be as RSA100* with nitro and VH-1 PUs - by another seller. (* Made about 1990 I?ve been told)

The problem is that neither me nor this seller have seen the guitar IRL yet as it is shipping from Japan right now.

Here are the pics:

BurnyRSA100.jpg

I have no reason not to trust the seller (I?ve bought guitars from him before) but I might loose the red one above while waiting for this one.

The sticker in this one seems to say RSA100 but the "plain" headstock just looks cheap to me...
Not something I?d expect from a higher model vintage Japanese guitar.

(So many fake Chinese guitars around these days...)

I bet that the seller will be able to tell if it?s the real deal as soon as he lays his hands on it, but right now I?m not totally convinced...

But what do I know :oops:

The sunburst one doesn't look right - far too new for what they say it is. The logo also looks painted on and not inlayed as the old ones are. Logo script is too thick too. The B is totally wrong

The cherry model looks nice and legit - although I've not seen open coil VH1's on their 335's. But, obviously covers can be removed.

marcusnieman said:
The sunburst one doesn't look right - far too new for what they say it is. The logo also looks painted on and not inlayed as the old ones are. Logo script is too thick too. The B is totally wrong

It?s hard to tell from the pics, and I?m definitly not a Burny expert, but I also got the impression that it doesn?t look right :x

januz said:
marcusnieman said:

It?s hard to tell from the pics, and I?m definitly not a Burny expert, but I also got the impression that it doesn?t look right :x

Compare the script of each logo and notice the subtle differences - they're actually pretty obvious...... enough so that I wouldn't touch it. The red one looks okay - although it too looks pretty minty for it's age. However, the headstock shows some nicks and bumps.

Here's a real 80's RSA100 to look at - note the correct trussrod cover shape and the flowerpot badge. Go to the bottom of the page and click the pics:

http://www.aquamusic.jp/product/377

That RSA100 looked more like it!

I suppose that the one in my pic is a newer Chinese fake or something :evil:

januz said:
That RSA100 looked more like it!

I suppose that the one in my pic is a newer Chinese fake or something :evil:

It sure looks that way. If it were a legit Chinese guitar, it would have the proper trussrod cover, serial number, etc. It's obviously being sold as something it isn't.

Latest posts

Back