A SHAME! BROKEN HEADSTOCK LES PAUL REBORN, RISKY OR WHAT?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
This has just been put up for auction on yahoo,got a little bit excited till i folllowed the sellers photos link,NO I REALLY FELT SICK :( i had a tear roll down my cheek,over dramatic ,sorry!
It is a clean break ,would do guys think? ,its a reborn that looks in very good,nearly mint condition.it it worth buying it and how much does that break knock off the sell value,think it is a ls80 can not see serial no on the rear of the headstock.
IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

I read that a neck break or headstock break knocks off at least 30% off the price.
I would never touch a guitar with a break,but this one is very tempting.looks like it might have been glued before,mmmh
ANY of you got a guitar thats had a repair on the neck or headstock,what do you reckon. :wink:
Comes with original lp-170 case as well.

MOJO HOBO

In the case of a normally valuable guitar like a Reborn, the HS break will probably knock close to 40% off it's value, but a decent luthier should be able to repair that and as a player it would be a fine guitar!

Thanks johnA,
Guess it did no harm to the 59 burst that peter green /gary moore owned ,that has had its share of neck repairs,two i think?
Guess its how good the luither is?

I will be keeping my eye on it.

MOJO HOBO

I think being pre-owned by those two will probably negate the effect on the price of a couple of neck breaks :wink:

As I said, if you are keeping it as a player then it could be a cheap way of getting a VERY nice guitar, it might make it more difficult to re-sell, but if you are kepping it who cares
:D

exactly. I bought a cheap 5 string Hamer USA bass guitar with broken headstock and electronics. I repaired it and I'll keep it. Sounds really good and who cares it was broken ;) When I record in studio with this bass noone on any recordings will know it had broken headstock.
ok guys, now you know the secret :oops:

it really depends on the severity of the break, most can be glued, and are as good as new, some have to be structurally supperted on either side, and that is expensive and involves adding pieces of wood, it is again as good as new, but a normal break, properly finished is around ?100, if its a bad break the other method is ?200+

that looks pretty bad to me and I would think the more expensive option to repair...

what a shame, beautiful guitar..

villager said:
it really depends on the severity of the break, most can be glued, and are as good as new, some have to be structurally supperted on either side, and that is expensive and involves adding pieces of wood, it is again as good as new, but a normal break, properly finished is around ?100, if its a bad break the other method is ?200+

that looks pretty bad to me and I would think the more expensive option to repair...

what a shame, beautiful guitar..

Very clean break.... I'd say the prognosis is pretty good repair wise.

IMO the break takes 50% of the value from the instrument

the break looks to be very clean; repair will require two to four hard wood dowels set at ~60 degrees, dowel ends covered by maho plugs, refin the area ........ cost should run $350 to $400 ........

would be a good buy for the right person, just not me; I don't buy broken head stock guitars :wink: ...............

Thank you to everyone that replied,yes it is agood buy for the right person,already got a lot of interest and over 20 bids.if the price is right i may have a bid?
MIJvintage, many thanks! so that is how to repair a headstock right please have a look at this greco super real EG58-120 this looks exactly how you described a repair.
fab5.jpg

594c.jpg

zep73jp-img600x450-1256101000thfqvc.jpg

How would you rate this repair :-?
Again going very cheap ,but a little concerned it is not under string tension? plus no pictures of the truss rod cover off,which personally i would like to see,

MOJO HOBO

The other alternative is to buy a Strat or Tele - you won't break the headstock on one of Leo's creations. Delicate creatures, Gibsons (and their descendants).

:wink:

Mike

Looks really like a clean repairable break.Here is a report about such a repair : http://www.timeelect.com/headstock.htm
I once received a guitar with the worst case... :cry:

OBG93009.jpg

If the wood fibers are cutted the guitar will be dead,but for the one on your pics,I see a good chance

Very interesting T,
Some good headstock repairs on that link,you can hardly see that they have had a break,near invisible,mmmh!,I am getting more confident about headstock breaks,**** it you guys, :D Was not that interested in this guitar,but your replies are making me have second thoughts.LOL

Is that a picture of your own headstock break T ,any more ? did/was it repaired,any pictures of it post repair and how did play and sound.

Would not want a dead sounding guitar,think that is a bit extreme!

MOJO HOBO

I ordered that guitar from villager and when I opened the case to see the post bastards work I was almost crying :evil:
Mark sended the guitar to his favorite luthier but it wasn't worth the repair.Such a crack is very expensive to repair,there has to made an inlay from some additional wood to stabilize and from my opinion,the guitar will not sound as before,the head will not swing as before.
And the price will go down about 50 %

mojo hobo said:
Thank you to everyone that replied,yes it is agood buy for the right person,already got a lot of interest and over 20 bids.if the price is right i may have a bid?
MIJvintage, many thanks! so that is how to repair a headstock right please have a look at this greco super real EG58-120 this looks exactly how you described a repair.

How would you rate this repair :-?
Again going very cheap ,but a little concerned it is not under string tension? plus no pictures of the truss rod cover off,which personally i would like to see,

MOJO HOBO

well first off, I'm not a luthier but having said that, I have frequented three shops of some excellent scratch/custom builders/repairers.

My opinion that the repair would need 2 to 4 hard wood dowels set at ~60 degree angles is based on the idea that the compromised area needs added support that provides maximum surface area contact.

Setting the dowels perpendicular to the head stock face/back provides the least amount of surface area contact for a dowel repair.
The pics of the Greco repair look to be of a more perpendicular nature, and also the repair should be done from the back side, not the head stock face, if possible.

The dowels can be covered by round maho plugs/veneers that have the grain matched to the maho in the neck; makes for a repair that is harder to spot :)

That break from the first is an easy fix if u send it to a good professional luthier and noone has been trying to fix it and failed. U won't be able to see it if it's properly repaired, and some people will claim a repair made their guitar better.
I never noticed a difference before or after in the way the guitar sounded. Fact is that the repaired part of the neck will be the strongest part of the neck.

It looks like a very clean break (the guitar in the first post), no wood is missing, and i think clamps and glue will do.

From wikipedia :
Slashs main live guitar is a 1987 Les Paul Standard with three piece top (Factory Second). It has a cracked neck in two places, but he has had it repaired and continues to use it.

t.olsen said:
From wikipedia :
Slashs main live guitar is a 1987 Les Paul Standard with three piece top (Factory Second). It has a cracked neck in two places, but he has had it repaired and continues to use it.

and said it sounded even beter after the repair..

Latest posts

Back