Tokai LP with Gibson logo on headstock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willivory

Reaction score
Until a couple of days ago there was an ad on Ebay for a beautiful, flamed Les Paul style guitar with the Gibson logo on the headstock. The seller described it as a lawsuit model "Tokai Navigator". The guitar looked like a Classic 60 model LP with a premium plus top. The seller had a "Buy Now" of $1500. Bidding was up to around $900 the last time I looked and the next day it was gone. Seems like Tokai would really be looking for trouble making a Les Paul with a Gibson logo. Also, weren't the "lawsuit" models "plain tops"? Anybody know anything about such a guitar? Just curious....

Hi willivory,
I remember a TLS-100 Flametop that had been "Gibsonised" in 1986 by some people in Australia. The guitar had the original Tokai serial# left on it and "Tokai" engraved into the back of the headstock but the front had the gold "Gibson" sticker used on the LP Jnr's.
I'm sure it was not the 1st time someone has thought of doing this. It is a shame you can't find the eBay ad, it would be an interesting thing to see.
regards
Peter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-04-29 23:37 ]</font>

Sounds like the seller has things a bit mixed up, as Tokai didn't make Navigators, ESP did/do. Take a look at the one at the bottom of the following page:

http://members.tripod.co.jp/kimoty/index-EG.html

Tokai did and do make plenty of flame top models but, I'm sure as Ned would like to point out, there never was a lawsuit :smile:. As to the Gibson on the headstock, I'm with Peter, in that I've seen a few guitars rebadged like this.

James

Thanks for the feedback. I was tempted to bid on this guitar myself but after looking at the info on this site I decided that might be a foolish thing to do, particularly since I know almost nothing about Tokais except that they have a good reputation. I'm looking forward to my first Tokai, an '80 "Reborn Old" (LP Custom style), in about a week or so.

Latest posts

Back