Can anyone recommend a Digital Home Recorder

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a basic home recording set up together, mainly for ideas, demos & pre production. Because my PC is a bit old & slow, I think I'll be going down the portable Digital recorder route.
I'd like guitar amp effects & drum machine etc if possible.
I'm a fairly accomplished player of 30+ years but as I've only ever recorded in other people's studio's, I'm a total numpty in this area, so
any recommendations would be welcome.

Here's exactly what you're looking for, the Boss BR-600.

8 simultaneous playback tracks, 64 V-Tracks (Virtual Tracks)

CompactFlash memory card slot for storing recording media; 128MB card included

Built-in FX processor, including pitch corrector and COSM amp models

Built-in drum-machine with velocity-sensitive pads

Built-in stereo mic and battery power to record anywhere

USB for data transfer/computer connectivity

Portable and ultra slim: 257 x 182 x 23mm

Carrying case and XLR-to-1/4" mic cable included

More information here: http://www.roland.com/products/en/BR-600/index.html

Yep the BR600 is ideal, got one for xmas. Plenty of built in effects so you don't even need to DI your amp or run FX pedals, bass sims and drum patches. I have recorded whole songs (badly) then plug in a mic for vox, oh it has lots of vox FX too so you can add reverb.
I record a riff, add second guitar, add solo, add bass mix down to 2 tracks add drums either built in or with the Yamaha DD55c then a couple of vocal tracks might get a keyboard at some point but seriously you can't go wrong with it one you get used to it.

I would still recommend the PC route, if your PC is getting a bit old and slow treat yourself to a new one. Even the free versions of Cubase that come with sound cards are more than you will ever need, and there are loads of free plug-ins, amp-sims etc so it needn't cost a fortune.

I use a modest core2 duo PC and it can easily handle 24 tracks of audio as well as midi.

Also...there a certain forum members*coff coff* who are able to convert demo versions of software to the full version for free**coff coff**.
For the life of me I can't see why you wouldn't want to pay $500+ for the privilege of using one amp model...it supports the company...it's legal...blah blah blah :roll:
Just heading back to my free version of Amplitube 8)

Back