Goldstar strat pickups-No hum cancelling?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlovee

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm the happy new owner of an '84 Goldstar strat in what appears to be all original condition.

I'm a bit puzzled by something, hopefully you can enlighten me...

The pickups overall are not terribly noisy, but what's weird is that the buzz is the same no matter what the pickup position is. In other strats I've owned the 2 and 4 position (neck-mid, bridge-mid) will have a definate decrease in buzz because of the reverse wound mid pickup cancelling the hum.

Is it possible that the mid pickup on these is not reverse wound? I took a look at the pickups and they had no particular markings on them except for a "U" that they all had.

Any ideas on this?

thanks!

Hi carlovee,

If the pickups have a 'U' on the base then they're stock for your guitar, and mean its a TST-50 model (see my Goldstar sound pickups post for more info from Peter). On the back of the neck there may still be a small oval sticker with '50' on it that would confirm this. To see the full spec on the guitar go to http://www.tokairegistry.com and go the catalogs section. Look at page 2 of the early 80s catalog. The 'U' on the pickups seems to signify the U-shape neck.
I have the exact same guitar in sunburst. Sadly it doesn't have its original pickups but as far as I know reverse winding on middle pickups is a fairly recent idea (I have a late 80s Fender Am Stnd Strat that has it), so its seems like your guitar is as it was when it left the factory.

Cheers

James

Thanks for the replies.

James: The more I play it the more I'm convinced that the mid pickup is not reverse wound and it definately looks all original so I think you are correct that reverse winding the mid is a relatively new idea and not impliment on this guitar.

Barry:
The pickups have just the standard 2 wires coming from them, a white and a black cloth covered wires, so I take it there is no 'easy' way to reverse the middle pickup right? I'm curious how a guitar tech could accomplish the reverse. Would they actually rewind the wires on the pickup? Or is there an easier way?

thanks again,
Tom

Back