80s Tokai PRS Santana copy!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

Reaction score
Its here:

http://sound.jp/retrobazar/NewFiles/elec.html#Anchor-Japanes-8983

Copy of the custom PRS built for Santana in the 80s. Looks amazing. Never seen one of these before. Maybe Japanese market only?

I love it! Strange though, there isn't any Tokai logo on it! I wonder if they ship guitars to Europe?

Michael

Not sure if the PRS original had a logo on it, as I think it was made by Mr Smith privately, before the company was established. Good news for Tokai - no logo lawsuits there!
The ad says its an 80s guitar, which means that Tokai were ahead of the game, as PRS have only made them as a production model for a year or two.
Never seen any other examples so maybe it was a prototype? For example, Wizard Guitars in the UK has a new prototype ES-175 copy.

Unfortunately this guitar costs $3000 + $150 shipping to Sweden. On top of this I also have to pay 4% customs fee and 25% tax! For that kind of money (even less) I can buy a new PRS in Sweden. It seems that the guitar is made by Tokai Gakki for a music store in Japan, there is no Tokai logo on the guiar.

Michael

Hey, that must be a first for Tokai: for once its cheaper to buy the original :smile:

Tax seems to be a real killer when it comes to importing. Its so frustrating to see all those great old Tokais on Japanese sites, going for what are otherwise reasonable prices. Although I suppose it makes it all the more satisfying when you do find a good one in Europe or the States.

Latest posts

Back