TOKAI MAKES CLASSICAL GUITAR

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w4rm0ng3r

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i found an ad on craigslist for a Tokai Classical guitar, made in the 70s in Japan and distributed in the US, anyone ever heard of tokai classical models?
if any of you experts out there can identify this and tell me the value in either USD or CAD
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/981440791.html for me, it would be much appreciated

Tokai started making simple little classical acoustic guitars (the kind with the nylon strings with a wide flat neck that you finger pick) back in the mid 60's. All the ones like that I've ever seen were pretty old looking with quite a bit of age wear. They weren't very expensively made when they were new. Tokai started making a lot better acoustics (like the CE series) when it contracted with Martin to make Sigmas in 1972 and then the D-28 and D-35 replica Cats Eyes acoustics.

One of the old classical Tokais is probably OK as a collector's item. The one in that ad looks pretty good but I wouldn't pay very much for it unless I had a chance to play it or see if stayed in tune or had any other problems (belly swell, neck bow, bridge, etc).

Thanks so much for the info Innadaze!
Can anyone suggest a price for the guitar in the ad?

Back