weird tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocku

Reaction score
What is this guitar?
First of all I apologize for not being able to add any pic?s here. But I?ll try to discribe the guitar as good as possible.

It?s a Stratocaster copy. But it ain?t a Springy or a Gold Star - it?s a "Tokai Custom Edition". Written with script letters. Not blocks and not the spaghetti font. More like the logotype that?s used in Coca-Cola. Now, what the hell is that?
All the other Custom editions I?ve heard of have been Jackson copies.

It says "The Quality Instruments Of The World" right beneath the Tokai Cust. Ed. on the head. And then there?s the "Oldies But Goldies" of corse.

Body is pearl-white, probably alder, but not too shure about that. Neck is maple w/ rosewood fretboard.
The head is exactly like an old Strat, but the head is not as big as on them ?70:s "Blackmore"-kind of Strats.

The serial number is 18618, and it?s on the metal plate at the neck joint. The neck joint is with 4 screws, and not 3 as the Strat?s use to be.

One weird thing is that this guitar only has two pots. One volume and one tone. Like them Schecters.

You have to remove the neck to adjust the trussrod and just beneath the trussrod there?s a "3-1" text printed.

The pickups are probably stock. Couldn?t find any text on them. The 5-position pickup selector had a sticker with the text "YM-50".

So, does anybody know anything about this guitar? How old e.t.c.

The guy who sold it said that the one who sold it to him (you?ve heard this one before, haven?t you?)claimed it?s from the beginning or mid 80?s and japanese. But hey, that?s what they say nowaday?s about everything. Even the toiletpaper is almost vintage early 80?s japanese.

The guitar you have is from 1986, was made in Japan but a list of pickups, scratchplate and tremolo or a photo will get you a model and original Japanese price. It is more than likely one of the SD series guitars as the headstock is not painted and the neck is not carbontech.
The Jackson-style guitars were the the "Limited Version", not the "Custom Edition."

Latest posts

Back