1982 Mint Collection Model Number Guess?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
anyone have an idea of the model number for this 1982 Greco Mint Collection gold top?

EG700G?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=170220260748

May even be a higher model because it has fret edge binding, i've also seen some early mint collection models with left over super real necks, it could even be one of these. Maybe Villager will know.. :)

Mick

fret binding's only an indication of higher model post 82, as in 82 there were still a lot of 81 superreal necks with fret binding used..transitional period...

rich .. when u get it have a look for PU stamps..and see if the necks like your 1000 or thinner..

i would guess either a refin, or a EG-x-70

they seemed to like having a 7 in the model for all goldtops!! heh

I assumed it possibly had a left over Super Real neck, because of the fret edge binding & also because of the 2 72** serial number

the body profile, specifically the cutaway, has the more authentic curve that is true to the Les Paul form, which is typical for the Mint Collection guitars. The Mint Collection cutaways have a smaller radius, with just a bit more material left at the inside edge of the tip end of the cutaway.

The EG700G has the earlier EGF style cutaway, which is a larger radius curve than the Mint Collection cutaways so, I don't believe this one is a EG700G

At one time, I had a 1981 Greco Super Power gold top, also with fret edge binding; a great Les Paul that I should have never sold

I promised myself if I could ever get my hands on another early 80's Greco gold top with fret binding that I would have to have it

It will be interesting to finally have one again, and a very early Mint Collection at that :)

villager said:
fret binding's only an indication of higher model post 82, as in 82 there were still a lot of 81 superreal necks with fret binding used..transitional period...

rich .. when u get it have a look for PU stamps..and see if the necks like your 1000 or thinner..

i would guess either a refin, or a EG-x-70

they seemed to like having a 7 in the model for all goldtops!! heh

My 1981 Greco Super Power gold top had a two piece center seam maho back & a huge neck, like my EGF-850 & EGF-1000 have

I originally thought that it might be a refin but I was convinced that it had an original finish, and it had all the characteristics of a nitro finish

why did I sale that **** thing :( ...........
SuperPowerGold-Top.jpg

Mark, you didn't read my post?
Again, I am aware of the 'norm' but you are not willing to entertain the idea that there may be an exception out there lurking about?

I believe the early 1980 Greco specs were somewhat broad ranging & quite varied.
Why would a 1981 (Super Power) gold top have a two piece center seam maho body back, when my 1980 Greco EGF-1000 Super Real has a 3 piece back?

I believe it is not out of the realm of possibility to have an example, or even a few examples of Super Powers that were shot with nitro, even though that is not the 'norm'............

We had a similar debate recently as far as the nitro/poly thing, I recall.........

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

as far as the finish question; we both know the characteristics of poly & nitro finishes.
One characteristic of a poly finish is that it is brittle, not plyable, and when it is damaged, pieces of the finish will 'flake'. These pieces are hard, not plyable like nitro.
Nitro on the other hand will do certain things that poly finishes won't do. Clear coat smudging to varying degrees is one of the big draw backs of a nitro finish.

I haven't done the acetone test with these two examples but these examples exhibit many of the characteristics of nitro finishes, and basically none of the characteristics of poly finishes.

yes i read it.

but i dont necessarily take everything you say as 100% fact Rich..your opinion is that it was nitro, I prefer to rely on printed material, and the actual model specs..and as i said, the model specs for the super power are poly finish..so if you have not tested it then ''it looks like nitro'' is simply not enough for me to blindly accept that it is, contrary to all documentation, in fact a nitro finish.

I just dont think you can tell 100% for sure without testing.

of course there may be an exception, but for you to say that its nitro from your judgement, does not prove this to me..

also I do not 100% agree with your definitions of the characteristics of nitro and poly finishes, I have seen extremely brittle old nitro finishes on many guitars, this is why they check and crack.

again I will re-iterate..if it doesnt say in the specs its nitro, and you havent tested it, then for me its most probably poly..

lol, it was not my intention to have you, or anyone else for that matter to blindly accept anything, and I never have claimed with 100% certainty that any of my guitars were finished in nitro, without the 'test'

we are aware of what the catologs state

it very well may have been poly, yes, but again as we have seen in this forum, certain MIJs examples have certainly thrown some curve balls at the set in stone mind set.............

villager said:

absolutely, especially with Mij lacquer from the 80's and the super thin polyurethane finishes. Very difficult to tell.

lol well i certainly dont have a ''set in stone'' mindset, i know more than most the deviations from spec that exist, but all i am saying is if I had a guitar which was supposed to be poly, and i was pretty convinced it was nitro, then I would simply test it so I could be certain..for my own knowledge as much as anything..

so then if i posted about it I could say '' its nitro for sure, as i have tested it''

MIJvintage said:
anyone have an idea of the model number for this 1982 Greco Mint Collection gold top?

EG700G?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=170220260748

Back for another round with this seller after the LS-320 bent pot shaft episode?

I think your approach is the right way to go about it.

People are never objective about the guitars they own, paritculary MIJ guitars. Everyone wants to think they have the exception to the rule, the solid top, the nitro finish, the flametop, etc. You need to see a guitar in person to really pass judgement.

villager said:
yes i read it.

but i dont necessarily take everything you say as 100% fact Rich..your opinion is that it was nitro, I prefer to rely on printed material, and the actual model specs..and as i said, the model specs for the super power are poly finish..so if you have not tested it then ''it looks like nitro'' is simply not enough for me to blindly accept that it is, contrary to all documentation, in fact a nitro finish.

of course there may be an exception, but for you to say that its nitro from your judgement, does not prove this to me..

also I do not 100% agree with your definitions of the characteristics of nitro and poly finishes, I have seen extremely brittle old nitro finishes on many guitars, this is why they check and crack.

again I will re-iterate..if it doesnt say in the specs its nitro, and you havent tested it, then for me its most probably poly..

Nani said:
MIJvintage said:

EG700G?

Back for another round with this seller after the LS-320 bent pot shaft episode?

I have purchased from Sat on I believe 5 ocassions, and things haven't always gone real smooth, and Sat usually has some pretty steep prices

Having said that, Sat has however come up with a few particular examples that I have had some serious interest in so, there you go..............

Can't wait to get this Greco gold top in my grubby mits :lol:

Back