Tokai made Greco

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWOBHM

Reaction score
Well, I'm guessing this is a Tokai made Greco. Short or medium neck joint, no serial, marked eg75 in the cavity. Looks nice! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180224060001&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

Good find. I havn't seen a Greco no serial EG75 only the EGC75 custom. It's a Tokai. It has the same routing and other features of the Tokai's.

japanstrat said:
Good find. I havn't seen a Greco no serial EG75 only the EGC75 custom. It's a Tokai. It has the same routing and other features of the Tokai's.

I`ve been reading everything you are writing on this subject and wonder, where are you getting this info from? I mean it seems you are the only one coming up with this data so I`m just curious about where you`re getting it from. Japanese books? Friends? Is it all coming from research you`re doing on line? Where?

I'm just comparing the internals of the guitars. I'm not making any claims that I'm 100% right, I'm just following pointers to where they lead. Some of the no serial Grecos have Cor-Tek pots and must be from Cort but the guitar above is not from Cort. It looks Japanese but has no serial so who would be likely to make it. From the pickup and control cavity routing and wiring I can compare them to other pickup and control cavity routing and wiring. I have a sort of routing and wiring database of known guitar makers and I then compare them.

The guitar above has routing and wiring internals that exactly match Tokais. I's not from Fujigen for instance because I've never seen a Fujigen guitar with those square routing holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity and Fujigens control routing is very different as well. If you get a G serial OBG LP and a K Orville LP and a ink stamped no letter Orville LP and compare the routing and wiring channels and tenons then the G serial OBG and K Orville match exactly and the ink stamped no letter Orville doesn't match with the G serial OBG and K Orville.

Why would the G serial OBG and K Orville match. If the K Orvilles were coming from Korea like the Cort made Grecos did than there would have to be routing and wiring channels and tenon differences like the Cort made Grecos have when compared to the Fujigen made Grecos. I did all this Orville comparing after Jim Donahue from Hoshino told me that he saw Orvilles only at Terada and Fujigen and he did not see them at any Korean factories. So the Orville comparing just backs up what he said.
So all the OBG and Orville LPs only have 2 different styles of routing and wiring and tenons. Hmmmmm, 2 different styles, 2 different makers, Terada and Fujigen from Jim Donahue. Because Terada didn't serialize their Orvilles and Fujigen did serialize their Orvilles it threw most people into a Korean no serial thing like the Korean Samicks were known for.

I see. I don`t own any Orvilles and for some reason am not attracted to owning any...not sure why, maybe I just haven`t seen one that really interests me yet.
So the info is coming from work you`re doing. It might help if members posted pics of the routes of guitars they own just so that we could all compare notes and see what we have in common.
So far you`ve discovered that different makers are routing their guitars differently, both MIK and MIJ and you have found some kind of pattern to that routing...it`d be a kicker if it turned out to be that simple. So I`m guessing you`re getting your data mainly from 80s and 90s guitars? Most of mine from that era are strat and tele types but I`ll contribute what I can. next time I change strings on my Reborn I`ll take pics of it too. I`m reading this stuff because I hope to keep finding these guitars so everything I can gather before going into the shops counts because the people selling these guitar around me may not have been born when they were made and don`t seem to know or care at all about em...just a job you know.

OK...heres a couple from my recently acquired Burny...you`ve already seen pics of my Greco from this decade ...
forsaleIII389.jpg

forsaleIII390.jpg

and you`ve mentioned the nuts on the guitars so I`ll include a pic of the Burny`s...don`t mind the small binding damage...I`ve alread repaired it...looks huge in the pic but it was around an inch in length...
forsaleIII416.jpg

I`m happy to add whatever I can to tyr to help solve the inigma that is MIJ...the pots from the Burny...

forsaleIII400.jpg

I've looked at quite a few Burny custom LPs especially from the 80s and the control and pickup routing and wiring channels down the right side seem to match Fujigen. Another thing is that the Burny 80s LP standards routing and wiring don't match Fujigen.

That wavy sort of control routing is a Fujigen style of control routing but it could have been used by other makers so other things like the wiring channels and pickup routing has to be compared as well but in general that control cavity looks like Fujigen to me.

japanstrat said:
That wavy sort of control routing is a Fujigen style of control routing but it could have been used by other makers so other things like the wiring channels and pickup routing has to be compared as well but in general that control cavity looks like Fujigen to me.

Thanks, great info, gonna take some more pics.

Latest posts

Back