Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greco no serials
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headstocks vary. At http://www.cosmikdebris.co.uk/grecopics.htm#logo the guitar on the right is not a FujiGen or a Tokai and it has different features to all the Japanese guitars so I would say it's a Cort Greco even if the headstocks don't exactly match some other Cort Grecos. Depends on where Cort were getting the logos from and Corts cnc machines and how the cnc machines were programmed.
guitar.sib
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: no serial Reply with quote

At http://www.cosmikdebris.co.uk/grecopics.htm#logo the guitar on the right has exactly the same script as any other Cort Greco that i has met personally or on the net, but that third guitar on my photos has totally different script

that's confusing, and what confusing more, that i personally see couple FujiGen Grecos(not Tokai, and not Cort) with no serial(for the truth they were with chambered body, but still)

you see, whole picture for me looks like this: there is a bunch of a Cort Grecos, they all the same(head, neck, script, cavities, neck tennon, wiring), and this the only one(that i saw) that differs in all this specs, and in some(for example neck, logo, script) similar to japanise, but still has plastic wires and no serial. so it's totaly unclear, what the hell is that
guitar.sib
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: no serial Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290203616377&indexURL=8#ebayphotohosting
this guitar is similar in some ways (but has a serial)
guitar.sib
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: no serial Reply with quote

look closely in control cavity
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences I see between the 1988 Fujigen Greco above and the no serial Greco your talking about are, the Fujigen pickup routing has curves and your Greco is straight-ish, the Fujigen Greco has a rounded tenon end and your Greco has a squarish end, the Fujigen Greco has a sloped nut and your Greco has a brick nut, the Fujigen Greco has large pots and your Greco has small pots, the headstock shape is similar but doesn't match, the Greco Mint Collection logos match, the Fujigen control cavity wiring hole is in a different position to your Greco.
guitar.sib
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: no serial Reply with quote

this is just an example, i didn't said that they match exactly, but also have some common features
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your tuition japstrat,it?s a joy reading your posts.
cosmikdebriis
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Tokai made Greco Reply with quote

Hi... To be honest it is news to me that Tokai made guitars for Greco. Though I'm not surprised. The whole Greco history thing is VERY confusing to say the least.

Anyway, my query is... Do ALL/ANY Tokai manufactured Greco guitars have full sized 24mm pots? Also what sort of shielded cable do they use?

I've always assumed Korean Greco had "skinny" plastic coated wiring and 16mm pots.

http://www.cosmikdebris.co.uk/grecopics.htm#logo

As an aside.... The Greco on my web site... (Yes that's me)... that I've listed as Korean is made (probably) of Basswood ( I stripped the finish). It's certainly not mahogany and neither does it have a maple cap, or any kind of cap for that matter.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Tokai made Grecos I've seen, they have large 24mm pots.
From the Cor-Tek Cort Korean made Grecos I've seen, they have both large 24mm and small 16mm pots and some pots are stamped "COR-TEK".

There are other things that can be used for a Tokai made Greco ID. The Tokais have 2 square shaped holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity and most/all other factories have 2 rectangular shaped holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity. So if it's a no serial Greco and it doesn't have the 2 square shaped holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity then it's a Cor-Tek Cort made no serial Greco. If it's a no serial Greco and it does have the 2 square shaped holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity then it's a Tokai made no serial Greco.

And there are still more things that can be used to ID the no serial Tokai made Grecos from the no serial Cor-Tek Cort made Grecos.

Basically, Kanda Shokai hired other guitar factories to produce Grecos in the late 80s because Fujigen was too busy with Fender Japan and Ibanez etc to make all of the Grecos in the late 80s.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most acurate way to tell if a Greco is Korean or Japanese is the finish: urethane= japanese, polyester= Korean. Unfortunately I don't know any accurate test to make the difference. Except the feeling of it.

After 93, most Les Paul models seems Korean, Only some SG, flying V and Firebird are japanese. Rick copies are still japanese.
Freebird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many Greco Clear Sound Project semi-hollowbodies from the early 1990s are probably Tokai manufactured. My 1991 ES-335 copy seem to fit the descriptions mentioned. It has GOTOH pickups (HB-GBT) in both neck and bridge positions that I think Tokai used, but I can find absolutely ZERO manufacturer information on. Neck pcikup cavity routing looks Tokai.

FB
jujucaster
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I read the whole topic and am impressed with your knowledge.
Can you guys tell me anything about that guitar:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350249184795&_trksid=p2759.l1259
I haven't seen a lot of goldtops before and I find this one gorgeous.
(I just bought it)
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ones is Tokai made,you can tell by the pickup routing the shape of the neck tenon and the offset to the left position of the neck joint.
Looks very nice, i just love Gold Tops....

Mick
jujucaster
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Mick for your expertise!
I should receive that guitar tomorrow.
Should be a fine guitar yes?
jujucaster
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received it and wow!!!
It's my first greco LP and I can't believe how well built it is.
I bought a Gibson Lp standard once and brought it back to the shop after 4 months. It was gorgeous but rubbish.
I didn't try this one on an amp yet but acoustically it rings.
Well that's it...I'm very very happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: