Help ID my older Super Grade: odd serial number content

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moredirt

Reaction score
I've got what I assume is a 1982 or 1983 Super Grade RLG 90, could be an RLG 120 or 150 I suppose because it's got a solid top and fret binding, but the finish is poly. Anyhow, I wondered if anyone had ever encountered this type of serial number (6 digits starting with 82) and if anyone could tell which model of guitar this is.

BurnyPUPs.jpg

BurnyHeadstockFront.jpg

BurnyFrontClose.jpg

I would guess Late 80's ish, RLG 60 or 70. But hmm, solid top, that's a little strange. Are you sure that's not a Laminate on top of a solid maple cap?

Could easily be a laminate or photo flame, I'm definitely not an expert with tops. For the year, I was going by the headstock (logo location, truss rod cover) and the info/link on Mark's japanguitars site. I can't discern any layers in the top, looks to be about 1/2" solid, how thick would a laminate or veneer be? Any foolproof way to tell which it is (emphasis on the foolproof)?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help! I had read all the prior posts on these and was still confused, hence my post.

check to see if the (top) center seam runs completely through the maple, to the mahogany; if it does it may be a solid top, and if it does not then it's a laminate

check the control route to see if the under side of the maple matches the flame pattern on the top; if it matches it's probably solid, and if it doesn't it's a laminate

a laminate would be about 1 mm to 1.5 mm in thickness; you can check for that too

my guess is that it's a laminate top but let us know what you learn......

This looks very much like one of my Burny's. The "model" in the script's location would make me think later than early eighties. The earlier ones have the "model" part of the script quite a bit higher, at two different locations, one referred to as a medium script, and one a high script. Yours would be considered a low script. Also has the grey wire, which usually means post 85-6 or so. What color are the caps in the control panel? Green would probably make it tail end of 87ish, while the yellow ones probably late eighties or early nighties.

Mine has the grey wire, low script, and green caps....also the bell truss rod cover. However it does not have a serial number. Anyway, from the knowledge I have gathered, I think mine is around an 87 RLG 60 probably. It's a fine guitar, and I bet that one of yours is too.

That "model" script is what originally made me think 1983 based on what I was reading at http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny%20info.html. The "l" in my model is exactly between the center of the G and D tuners. That page also indicates grey wires on the RLG 50 and 60 appeared in the 1982 catalog. And the pickup cavity serial numbers it refers to are 5 digit rather than my six. And I thought JV Fenders (with only 5 real models to be concerned with between Tele and Strat) could be confusing!

My guitar does have the green caps. I also followed MIJ guitar's clues and it does have a laminate top, sorry for the confusion on that but even knowing how to look for it it's still hard for me to tell. Appears to be about 1.25 mm, just as you said.

Thanks again for all the info you guys have provided. And yes, it is a great guitar no matter what it actually is. I'm going with your opinion that it's somewhere around '87, and probably an RLG 60. I'm guessing the pickups are the L8000 vintage.

What is the body like? Can you tell if it's one, two, or three piece? Center Seam? And what about a heel cap on the neck? Heel cap = earlier, no heel cap = later.

Real flame maple wood comes of course from the maple tree (Acer saccharum), examples of which can have flame, curl, quilt, blister, figure, spalt, etc.

I have owned several of the Burny RLG flame top models, and they have flame veneer tops made from sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus).

I really never cared for the flame veneered examples that I owned as they always seemed to have a fake & weak look.

Of course, all of the buyers seemed to like them quite well.

Those veneer flame sycamore tops always look like they were trying to scream out, "I wanna look like REAL maple."

Center seam in the laminated top, the back looks like it's 3 pieces. No heel cap that I can see. I'd be suprised if this were a nineties guitar given the yellowing of the plastic (switch knob, fret binding, top binding), fretware, and tarnish on all the metal parts, gold lettering is gone from the switch "plate," but who knows? It looks old, much moreso than my other early eighties guitars, but comparative aging probably isn't a reliable indicator of anything.

This is is so much like mine, the only difference is yours has a serial number. I would guess it to be a transition model from, like I said earlier, about 86/87. I doubt it's 90's with the green caps and the gold backed pickup covers, but not earlier b/c of the one piece neck and 3 piece back.

I did notice, in the control panel on mine, that the pots have an 87 on them, so that's the year I am going with. Lol, of course this number could have nothing to do with the year.

Just curios, I wonder if your pots have a number on them. Anyway you look at it, I am sure it's a smoking guitar. Mine from what I believe to be the same era is a sweet sounding guitar, and probably the best playing guitar I have ever played. Of course, when it comes to tone, it's hard to beat my earlier 80's solid topper :)

Pots on mine just have "M500K ohmsymbol A" and 71 K below that. Maybe the 8 at the start of my serial number means 1988?

Latest posts

Back