which Tokai is compared to the Gibson Les Paul Standard??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iidoido

Reaction score
so, which Tokai model from Love Rock can be compared in the sound and quality to the Gibson Les Paul Standard? or even better..?
I just always wanted to buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard but the price is too much, too much, too much expansive so I heard that Tokai Love Rock is like Gibson Les Paul.

I'd like to hear from you, the masters, which Toaki Love Rock model is compared and even better than the Gibson Les Paul.

Thank you,
Vince.

8) sorry mine is edited now. instead take mick's advice here. he is right.

The LP standards don't have a deep joint long tenon neck joint, i am not too sure where you got that info, it is the historics that have the long tenon and Tokai's short tenon is longer that the Gibson standard tenon and a much better joint. Gibson use a rocker joint so they can get the neck angle right which cuts production time, it is a very sloppy joint and no where as tight or well made as the Tokai neck joints.

Mick

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/premium/ls150.html

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/ls90.html

and how much does it cost?
it's like the gibson les paul standard or better?

iidoido said:
and how much does it cost?
it's like the gibson les paul standard or better?

The Ls150 is better compared with the Gibson Custom-Shop-Les Pauls.

In my opinion they are better than Standard-noncustom-Gibsons.

ok, now that's great that they are better.
but the important thing is - are they sound the same as gibson les paul standard??
because I love so so so much the gibson les paul standard sounds...

Personally i wouldn't buy a Gibson standard, the construction is poor and to find a good one you have to play plenty of guitars. As far as the Tokai and other Japanese LP replicas are concerned i am yet to play a bad one and i own 8 Japanese LP's and have bought and sold a lot more for friends in Australia and still haven't had a bad one, i am not saying ALL Japanese LP's are better, just their consistency is definitely better than Gibson. Yes i have owned both, i no longer have any Gibsons at all.

Mick

ok, great...
but, there's maybe another model which is sounds like the gibson les paul standard and even better?
becuase the ls150 is also too expansive.

If you're mostly just after that similar tone of Mahogany/maple cap anything from an LS80 upwards will suit.
The stock pickup DO give that classic LP sound but most of us swap out the pickups for our favorite brand.

I agree with Ozeshin, I think what you really want is a really good LP without spending much money.
So the cheaper Tokai Made In Japan will suit you very well.
I think LS85 is the cheapest MIJ at the moment .

I understand the initial question. However, I think you must first define "which" Gibson LP Standard that you are comparing to. For example, the originals from '58 - '60 are quite different from those from the '70's ........ and even now.

Are we to assume you mean as compared to the old originals?

iidoido said:
ok, now that's great that they are better.
but the important thing is - are they sound the same as gibson les paul standard??
because I love so so so much the gibson les paul standard sounds...

of course it will sound like a Gibson, its the same Construction & Wood.

But EVERY single Les Paul will sound a little bit different of each other because wood is a natural Product.

+1 Ozeshin! I owned some (a lotta) G?s, and the cheapest MIJ Baby made me cry (and sell) about my G?s!

Sorry I have to say it that hard: Sometimes it?s a shame ...................

.......... find your own words!

There?s too much business in music business, and that?s often the reason for very big disapointment!

cya mates, "ACY"

Guys, some facts.

There is currently no such thing as an LS150...it does not appear in the Tokai catalog # Volume 23...the latest catalog.

Currently the catalog lists from the TOP of the range model, LS380, LS230, LS135, LS75, LS80, LS85, LS90Q....and a few others.

The only LS models with the "deep joint" are the 380/230/135/125F (the LS125F is currently not available).
All other LS models don't have the deep joint.

So I guess the LS135 is the model that best competes with the Les Paul Standard...for less than half the price. :)

I am baffled by some of this conversation. Not only is the Tokai numbering system difficult, there is no one "Gibson Les Paul Standard" to compare to.

Am I the only one that see the Gibson Les Paul Standard as any one of many different production eras and quality levels? :-?

f5joe said:
I am baffled by some of this conversation. Not only is the Tokai numbering system difficult, there is no one "Gibson Les Paul Standard" to compare to.

Am I the only one that see the Gibson Les Paul Standard as any one of many different production eras and quality levels? :-?

Well there's no point including the 58 - 60 originals, because they're $300k plus! Also, the 70's ones have appreciated quite a lot recently.

Most people appear to think the OP was looking at currently available type stuff, so for Gibson you've got Gibson USA and the Custom Shop.

Obviously for Gibson USA you've got Standards, Traditionals, Studios, and Classics in the mahogany with maple cap configuration, but as far as I know most of them are weight relieved.

For the Custom Shop you've got the Replicas (Historics): R2, R4, R6 through to R9 and R0. There's also some CS serial number Black Beauty LPs out there that are made in the Custom shop but are not R7s or R4s. Very nice guitars, but a new buyer wanting a LP could get a Tokai LS-150 with a plain top and pretty much the same specs as an R9 for way less than half the cash. There's one on ebay right now with a nice weight of 8.8 pounds, in tobacco, looks really nice.

If we're going to talk second hand there's thousands of LPs out there from both US and Japan. Probably better to discuss these when the OP finds something they like and it's relevant to the forum.

My own choice would be to go for the LS-150 or a Bacchus LP over any 70s Gibson or any current production Gibson USA model unless you can play the guitar first and you really love it. But my view is coloured by the fact that I'm fed up with vintage guitars that turn out to be old and ***** or just totally average (yes got burned).

Joe

With respect, you're making a complicated issue out of a simple one.

Obviously the original poster is talking about current Les Paul Standards.

JVsearch said:
f5joe said:

Well there's no point including the 58 - 60 originals, because they're $300k plus! Also, the 70's ones have appreciated quite a lot recently.

Most people appear to think the OP was looking at currently available type stuff, so for Gibson you've got Gibson USA and the Custom Shop.

Obviously for Gibson USA you've got Standards, Traditionals, Studios, and Classics in the mahogany with maple cap configuration, but as far as I know most of them are weight relieved.

For the Custom Shop you've got the Replicas (Historics): R2, R4, R6 through to R9 and R0. There's also some CS serial number Black Beauty LPs out there that are made in the Custom shop but are not R7s or R4s. Very nice guitars, but a new buyer wanting a LP could get a Tokai LS-150 with a plain top and pretty much the same specs as an R9 for way less than half the cash. There's one on ebay right now with a nice weight of 8.8 pounds, in tobacco, looks really nice.

If we're going to talk second hand there's thousands of LPs out there from both US and Japan. Probably better to discuss these when the OP finds something they like and it's relevant to the forum.

My own choice would be to go for the LS-150 or a Bacchus LP over any 70s Gibson or any current production Gibson USA model unless you can play the guitar first and you really love it. But my view is coloured by the fact that I'm fed up with vintage guitars that turn out to be old and ***** or just totally average (yes got burned).

Where are you seeing new LS150 models?

Back