Amp Modelling

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I find with amp modellers is they all sound different and the guitar you use has a big effect on the sound.
I've tried Amplitube and a few other software modellers and DigiTech RP-50 and Behringer VAmp Pro Hardware modellers and each ones Marshall sim sounds different.
None of them really nail a true Marshall but some guitar/Amp sim combinations can get close.
Like if I put my Orville SG through the Marshall sim on the DigiTech RP-50 it sounds pretty good for that AC/DC or Led Zep 70's rock thing.
But if I change the Orville SG for a Ibanez EX Korean strat it then sounds pretty bad.
And the DigiTech RP-50 is a pretty cheap amp sim but it sounds good for the Marshall sim with my Orville SG.
The Behringer is not as cheap as the DigiTech RP50 and it's more like the Pod but it's Marshall sim sounds not as good as the DigiTech RP-50 when I'm using my Orville SG.
But the Behringer gets a better tone for some other amp models using my Fender Strat.
So I've found that I have to mix and match to get acceptable sounds.
I also own a ZVex Nano Tube Amp which is a 1/2 watt tiny tube amp and none of the amp modellers come close to the Nano.
As for latency I use a Mac with Digital Performer and with a M-Audio Audiofile soundcard I get around 4 ms latency with Amplitube.
I also found that if I use the DigiTech RP-50 on a clean setting as a preamp then go from it to the M-Audio soundcard Amplitube sounds pretty good.
A preamp or EQ is essential when using a software amp sim.
Most people who say they get crap sound or moan about how Amplitube sucks don't know how to set up a preamp IMO.

Skybone said:
As Barry may tell you, a J Station in the UK is about ?150 which is half its RRP, but is it a worthwhile investment seeing as it is now "outdated"?

Two or three years ago, I would have said so. The J-Station had certain advantages over the original Pod and several other competing units (not least the bass models) but it's now a long way behind, especially compared to other products from the same umbrella company (Harmon).

My favourite modelling unit at the moment is the Digitech GNX3000. Along with the Vox Tonelab (which I owned before the GNX3000) I think it does the best job of replicating the attack sensitivity of a real amp... varying the pick attack or adjusting the guitar's volume control seems to produce a believable effect.

As for Line 6, I think the XT range was a massive improvement over the original Pods, but I still find their amp models a bit too "lumpy"... there's too much sub-bass rumble and a hump around 220Hz, which makes the sounds quite difficult to layer in a recording.

Adrian

It's a strange thing that I've noticed about most of the amp modelling kit out there, that it doesn't matter what guitar you use, they basically end up sounding incredibly similar. This conclusion is not from some cork-sniffing philistine techno-phobe who has never used and will never use an amp modeller, but from the owner of one current modeller, and a former owner of a few others...

This conclusion comes from having a great hand wired amp which I bought relatively recently and have been using a fair amount of late. The POD rarely gets used these days (though I suspect this will change when my wife gives birth!)

I heard some blues played through Amplitube2 the other day and it sounded pretty good but this guy could play and could also set up Amplitube to sound pretty good.
A thing I've noticed about Amp Sims is that computer sims like Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc really need a good preamp that's preferably tube or tube like.
I've also gotten some good sounds using a DigiTech Amp sim in front of a Behringer V-Amp Pro by using the Digitech as a tube like preamp on a clean tube amp sim setting and using the Behringer V-Amp Pro on a Marshall amp sim setting (4d).
The tube or tube like preamp gets rid of of a lot of that digital tone.
If I choose the V-Amp Pro Marshall setting 4d and get rid of the reverb and delay preset effects I get a pretty good Marshall sound that's maybe 95% of a real Marshall but what seems to be different is the feedback feel that I get from playing a real Marshall.
The V-Amp Pro seems to feel more like an effect when playing but actually ends up sounding pretty close to a Marshall especially when recorded.
I have to alter my playing technique a bit to compensate for the different playing feel.
Also a guitar track that might sound a bit digital on it's own can fit right in with the rest of the mix and you can end up not being able to tell much difference from a real tube amp.
You have to experiment and try different things with Amp Sims like using EQ and other effect pedals, preamps, different cab sims.
Like for instance if you have a V-Amp Pro and are recording try things like a EQ or TubeScreamer or Bad Monkey before the V-Amp Pro and then try it with one of the Amplitube cabinet sims instead of the V-Amp Pro's cabinet sims.
If you just use guitar sims stock you will probably get a stock guitar sim sort of sound.
To me real tube amps and amp sims are like conventional ovens and microwave's, both useful for certain things.

You have to experiment and try different things with Amp Sims like using EQ and other effect pedals, preamps, different cab sims.
Like for instance if you have a V-Amp Pro and are recording try things like a EQ or TubeScreamer or Bad Monkey before the V-Amp Pro and then try it with one of the Amplitube cabinet sims instead of the V-Amp Pro's cabinet sims.
Or you could do as I've discovered... I run a Fender model on my Zoom G.2 into Guitar Rig 2 which in turn is running either "Tweed Twins" or one of the many SRV models.
It takes away some of that digital dryness and gives it a hot rodded texan blues sound :D

The J station is worth the price second hand, usually about ?60, for the Fender Blackface sim alone, the tweed isn't far behind either. The solo on the myspcae link on *She speaks to Angels* was done through the tweed sim on a J Station, the one on Star City was the mesa sim on the J station.

I use a J Station an Original POD, but recently i have been using the little Epiphone 5 watt valve head throguh a bespoke 2 x 12 with the POD or J Sation driving it. The Head has has it's stock valves changed from JJs, it's probably the best comprimise for recording at home, you get the valve sound plus the selection of sims.

I use a simple Digitech Genesis ....the first one they put out ...I play my demo's for friend's ...they think I mike'd a Twin or a roaring marshall

OMFG..!!!!!
I downloaded a trial version of the new Amplitube Metal and promptly picked my jaw up from the floor...both for the amazing overdriven tube amp tones and the price :eek:
The price factor ended up not being an issue as i now have the full version of the software...(looks nervously over shoulder):lol: .
Not only can you simulate any tube amp made EVER as well as stompboxes and rack mounted effects..but you can mix and match all three for some insane shredtastic tones.
At the moment I'm running a line out from the computer into a clean amp as a monitor and micing that up til I can get the correct cabling to run the line back into the soundcard.
When you DO mic up the monitor you get a very realistic tone(depending on mic placement of course).

Latest posts

Back