we talked about quarter sawn wood a while ago... found this.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sneaky, thanks for the link ? yes, that?s quite a nice graphic diagram of what I was trying to describe. Re ?Tomkatf?s? original post & his Strat with the amazing ?Tamo? grain ? I was going to add;- ?I may be wrong but, after a brief check, I think Tamo is exactly the same as Sen, only it?s cut at a fancy angle - his link does show the great variation you can get from Ash. Must say, of all the lovely grained guitars that people have shown here, that Tamo guitar wins hands down for me (beautiful maple neck too) ? that?s one guitar I would pay vastly over the odds for, if you ever come across one in Japan do let me know, :lol: LoL!

Ian.

Hi Loverocker,

Good question. In fact, I find it hard to see why quarter-sawn should produce much difference anyway. There IS some difference, because plain-sawn gives a symmetric curve to the end-grain, whereas quarter-sawn yields an asymmetric curve, and either of those will produce slightly different grain to the face of the plank. Cutting a full width plank directly across the diameter just gives a big plain-sawn plank, of course. But I agree;- I?d expect the difference to be minimal :eek: ?

Hey Sneaky, I'll console myself with the idea that maybe Tamo is a crap tone wood anyway, :lol: LoL!

Ian.

Ps:- when oak is quarter-sawn, it produces far more pronounced wavy grain, which is the exact opposite of the effect shown on that link :eek: ?

Check out "The Beauty of the Burst" book for more details on timber types and sawing techniques for figured tops.

I prefer the look of flat sawn or flitch matched timber. Quarter bookmatched is far too figured for my liking.

Latest posts

Back