UK Tokai owners convention

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I just noticed this thread and I think it's a great idea.

It has put me in mind of the very exclusive Rickenbacker Convocation events. I've never been able to get a ticket to the UK Rickenbacker Convocation because the visitor numbers are restricted. I think the UK Ric Meet hires a venue, allocates tickets up to the venue capacity and that's it. When the tickets are gone, they're gone. Not that that bothers me, I'm much more interested in Tokai guitars.

I'm in Leeds, and I can offer the following for free..
Function room, with 100+ persons capacity for an event like this, in a 17thC barn next to Pub. Location is 10 minutes away from Leeds and Bradford International airport and good choice of hotels . Ample parking outside the venue. The Pub can also provide food if required. I don't know if this might be of interest to Ned, but it's just 30 minutes away from Knaresborough.
Full PA system, drumkit, bass rig and a 1973 Fender Silverface Pro Reverb. I could also provide a drummer and a bass guitar. Absolutely no noise restrictions. I'll also bring my pearl pink TST-55!

I would prefer a Saturday afternoon start. Anyone, let me know what you think.

I have to admit that I hadn't noticed this General Discussion forum before so there may be other Tokaiforum members who are unaware of this proposed event.

Sounds good to me. There's only one problem with Leeds - it has a worse one way traffic system than South London! A real nightmare. And the Old Bill park up and hide where the confusing roads change from a 40 limit to a 30 limit, and then nick you for doing 37! Well, they do if you don't have a Leeds registration....

:evil:

Apart from that, it sounds ideal, specially if it's free & we can make a bit of noise! I would agree about a Saturday afternoon start, & then we can finish up in the bar in the evening, if we're not travelling home. And it's close to Sheffield, so Tokai UK will probably be able to attend.

My God - this might actually happen!

:p

True that about the Leeds roads, but the cops parked up have now been replaced by speed cameras. Having said that, I could sort out some detailed information for drivers so everyone is aware of any potential problems. I have excellent knowledge of the area so I could man a hotline for directional guidance.

I'm willing to organise facilities if someone else could organise the tickets. There may be a small cost element involved with the venue as I don't know exactly what the deal is with regard to functions at this venue. We just use the barn for rehearsal and storing our band gear for free at the moment. I'll speak to the landlord if and when it's decided what people want in the way of food etc.

Leeds sounds ideal to me too - I love Leeds, 'twas my University city and it'll always have a special place in my heart. Gigged all over the place too. Salad days!

Mirrorboy, I wouldn't worry about organising food - if the pub does it, I think guaranteeing a barnful of hungry guitarists will be in there for lunch, dinner and evening drinks will make the owners very happy campers!

I suggest that, if we haven't heard from mirrorboy in a couple of weeks, we should abandon this option and look for another venue. Otherwise we'll all be dead before this convention happens......

stratman323 said:
I suggest that, if we haven't heard from mirrorboy in a couple of weeks, we should abandon this option and look for another venue. Otherwise we'll all be dead before this convention happens......

AHAHHAHHAHA!!!!

Sorry I took so long to post. I've been wrestling with a couple of concerns about the venue.

Five pubs closing daily in the UK means I must have a backup plan. I can also have the use of a nice concert room in a nearby club but we'd have to be out by 7pm.

The pub only does food to order now so I think it might become too complicated to arrange that. Both venues are close to restaurants, takeaways and macdonalds :roll:

I'm still serious about hosting it unless anyone else has a better idea. I need your thoughts. Post away!

P.S. What and when is an International Weekend?

Welcome back Mirrorboy! The concert room in the club would be fine for me!

As I said in the PM, I would be happy to assist in any whay I can, let's see if we can fix a date and we can sort out the details.

Thank you JohnA, your help would be much appreciated.

My main reason for offering these venues as possiblities for this inaugaral "UK Tokai Owners' Convention" is that both venues have excellent car parking facilities, and I've also had to bear in mind the potential turnout for this event. I mean how long is a piece of string? :-?

Wherever we hold it, I reckon we have to fix on a date first of all and then invite members to register their interest on here to get a better idea of the likely numbers. Personally, I have no commitments so far this year so any date would suit me fine.

Over to you guys :lol:

mirrorboy said:
Wherever we hold it, I reckon we have to fix on a date first of all and then invite members to register their interest on here to get a better idea of the likely numbers. Personally, I have no commitments so far this year so any date would suit me fine.

Agreed. How much in advance should this be - in other words how much notice do the organisers need? 2 months? 3?

I don't really think there is a lot to organise, mostly it will be down to peoples availability.

Anyone for March 7th, first Saturday in March?

I can do that date, but I wondered if giving a bit more notice would make it easier for some people to commit to the date? Especially people who live abroad but might want to attend.

Back