Gibson '57 classic/plus, with/without covers?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joop

Reaction score
Hi,

2 questions about these PU's.

1. What, if any, is the difference in sound when you take the nickel covers off?

2. Does any one has experience in replacing his standard '57 classic in the bridge with a '57 classic plus?

My configuration at the moment is a '94 ObG R with 2 x standard '57 classics, with the covers on. I really like the sound, but I maybe prefer the look without covers but I don't want to change the sound by doing so.

An enhancement by replacing the bridge with a '57 classic plus would be a nice extra but I'd rather hear some advise before I go changing and soldering.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Joop

Taking the covers off some of my LPs makes a noticeable difference (sound-wise)--others, hardly any. For me, the sound is always the most important thing--never thought much about how it looks with or without them so I take 'em off when it makes them sound better......

on%20off%201.jpg

on%20off%202.jpg

on%20off%203.jpg

on%20off%204.jpg

on%20off%205.jpg

...and, despite their obvious worth, I guess what I'm not really a big of fan of is pickguards--too much Duane Allman and Lindsey Buckingham influence in my playing.

If your pickups are wax potted you should leave the covers on. If you remove them you could find a waxy mess underneath. But maybe '57 classics are not wax potted?

As for tone, you probably won't notice much of a difference. The cover actually tames some feedback and bleeds off a slight bit of the high frequencies.

Thanks guys!

Since I do believe that '57 classics are waxpotted, I'd better not take the covers off because restoring that afterwards could be something that I can't do.

So, what about the '57 classic plus as a replacement for the standard '57 classic in the bridge, any experience any one?

For your information, the DC resistance on my bridge PU measures 8,2 which I believe to be on the lower side of the spectrum, after reading the standard and the plus reviews on Harmony Central.

Once again, thanks in adance for your input

The covers will come off pretty easily, I think they pot the '57's without covers then fit the covers later. I personally think they look loads better with the covers on, but thats just my preference.

Never tried a '57 classic pluss, but think the '57's are some of the nicest sounding LP pickups available.

i'd agree that the '57 classics are probably the nicest pickups gibson makes, but considering you're in europe, if you ask me there are much better value replacement pickups available- plenty of guys in europe handwinding pickups, and there's a good chance they'd be cheaper than the gibsons (which aren't). i have no idea if the handwinding makes a difference or not, but every handwound pickup i have tried has wiped the floor with its machinewound equivalent...

Latest posts

Back