Tokai ES-100 in London

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezza-j

Reaction score
Folks, saw a 1982 (they reckoned 1980 but it was on "02....." serial) ES-100 in Wunjo guitars on Denmark St in London today. Pickups had been changed to Peter Green Bareknuckles and there was a non-original hardcase. Natural colour with no flame. Was very nice.

I passed, but they offered it to me for ?795 from ?895 on the ticket.

Pricey, but was in good nick and in case anyone is desperate for a nice one of these, I offer the info here for your delectation

Cheers
Tez

http://www.wunjoguitars.com

I should be up in town tomorrow, so I'll have a look. Wunjo doesn't ring a bell - is it a new shop?

Took a wander along Denmark Street the other week myself. Wunjo is a newish shop (been in existence for a few years to my knowledge). Used to be rather tucked away just around the corner from Andy's (now Music Ground) in Denmark Street, now situated smack in the middle of Tin Pan Alley (Denmark Street, London) for our international forum members. Never bought from them but they seem to be a genuinely independently owned shop (a rarity thereabouts) and seemed friendly enough. The ES-100 wasn't listed on their web site when I last looked yesterday (not that I was interested, you understand....)!

Best regards,
Darren/MM

OK folks, well here's what happened. I went to have a look yesterday, & I liked the guitar. As I prefer 80s guitars, & another forum member prefers shiny new guitars, he had offered to buy my 2007 ES130 if I bought the ES100. So I bought it. And it's a great guitar. And the pickups do have an edge over the standard Tokais.

But, I sent some pics to a forum member who knows his 335s, and he suggested it might be a 2002, not a 1982. Two clues, both of which I missed - it has the modified headstock shape, which I now know was only introduced around 2002. Also, an 02 serial number means it's 2002. A 1982 or 1992 model would start with 2. I didn't know that either.

:(

Some pics here, including details of my ES130 as well:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20ES100/

So I checked with togps - our resident expert - and he quickly confirmed for me that a 2002 ES100 was a lower model than a 2007 ES130, with a poly finish. It's actually very difficult to feel any difference between them, they feel very similar. But if I had known it was a 2002 model, I wouldn't have bought it.

The shop owner has been very reasonable about it - he says he took it in part exchange as a one-owner 80s model, & I believe him. So, very reluctantly, I'll be returning it for a refund early next week & keeping my ES130, at least for now.

However, if anyone wants a 2002 ES100 with great upgraded pickups, I can recommend it, it's a very nice guitar. And Wunjo seem to have a great approach to customer service, which is good to know.

All in all, my Tokai identification skills seem to be quite poor at the moment.

:cry:

Yes. I think Richtone are charging ?899 for a new ES130, but best check their adverts to be sure.

Yeah I just saw on Richtone. I love that flame on your ES. No guarantee I'd get such a nice one from richtone. Shame. In the market for a new guitar and was heavily considering an ES. Your ES130 might just have made up my mind for me

Well, maybe if I get myself a nice 80s ES, one day, I might sell my ES130. It's gorgeous alright, but I'm sure it will be even better when it's 20 years old!

oops, look at the trouble I've caused! Sorry Stratman!

Anyway, glad that's sorted out and Wunjo are dealing with it.

I have to say it felt like an old guitar to me and it is a nice one for sure.

Maybe now they'll lower the price on it ;)

Tez

It's OK Tez, it's my responsibility, not yours. It does look older, & it feels remarkably similar to my ES130. And the pickups are an improvement. It hasn't been an easy decision to return it, which I can't do till early next week anyway.

One thing I've just noticed. My 130 has MADE IN JAPAN on the back of the headstock:

IMG_0308.jpg

but the 100 doesn't:

IMG_0318.jpg

Is this significant? :eek:

The MIJ on the headstock is a recent thing, nothing to worry about, looking at the pics though the ES130 headstock clearly has 'wings' i.e. the HS is made up of a main centre piece and then has two bits stuck on to make the HS shape. The EA100 looks like it could all be one picece which is a very high-end feature. Can you confirm??

Both headstocks have wings, it's just that they match the rest of the wood slightly better on the 100 compared to the 130. Very slight difference though. In fact there is very little to choose between both guitars.

Made in japan stamped on the back of headstock= 2005 and later.

I had an ES-120 in sunburst(great finish)and I liked it,only thing I slightly was not 100% glad(but glad overall however ) was neck width at nut,I?d prefer a bit wider neck there. Never tried an old one but I would ebe ver interested in(I?m wondering about a trade for amy LS-180CTM).Now I dig about wasn?t able to buy a Pacifix series ES-1 or 2,if anyone knows where to get anyof them, just let me know please.

Wunjo are good guys. I popped in a few times when they were 'round the corner near to the church.

Even though I told them I was only browsing and had no intention to buy anything they were very keen to talk guitars and show me through the finer points of some of their stock.
I'm certain that like you say they genuinely thought the Tokai was older than it turned out to be. Tokai knowledge is a lot harder to come by than, say, Fender for example.
Nice to see a shop where the owners are also enthusiasts. Vintage and Rare are like that too, but they can afford to be! You don't need to sell many guitars at their prices to make a comfortable living.

I hope Wunjo do well in the new location. They'll need to if they're going to pay those rents! :eek:

Back