Bacchus really are handmade....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetJyr

Reaction score
Stumbled on this videon from youtube. Amazing skills this guy have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll7hRaMUhZw

Amazing video, thanks for posting that!! I'm sure if I tried that it wouldn't matter what the guitar looked like as I'd have no fingers to play it!!

I cant imagine the big guitar companies putting in so much work and attention to details as these japanese companies. You probably have to go for the historic line and those cost plenty.

This made me want a Bacchus BLS-59. 8)

stratman323 said:
He's not doing that freehand is he?

Mike

No, he has a template fixed to the bottom of the bit of wood, still very impressive though, especially the speed he's working.

Cool! I watched the whole series of vids. I appreciate my Bacchus a lot more now...and I want another!

Is there a video showing the pickup winding process? Perhaps Bacchus themselves can explain the difference between the SPs & the Yutas? :wink:

Incidentally, Deviser never bothered to reply to my e.mail enquuiring about my BST64V, so I don't know why they were so helpful to other owners but not me.

stratman323 said:
Is there a video showing the pickup winding process? Perhaps Bacchus themselves can explain the difference between the SPs & the Yutas? :wink:

Incidentally, Deviser never bothered to reply to my e.mail enquuiring about my BST64V, so I don't know why they were so helpful to other owners but not me.

I guess your just unlucky Stratman :( Give it one more try and use the simplest English you have. I doubt they're native English speakers (no offense meant here)

Great Videos. 8)

stratman323 said:

maybe they thought you got enough info in that other thread to work out the differences between the pickups yourself...

:wink: :lol:

I love watching skilled luthiers at work.

But I'm wondering, what's the purpose of doing this by hand ? A machine does the job really well too. Maybe this is interesting only for people who don't want a standardized instrument, and prefer to have something unique.

Other than that, I don't think you could say that handmade is of better quality, just different.

What are your thoughts ?

Well those machines can't be cheap. For a small scale quality guitar producer, it might be hard to justify the capital investment. And doing it by hand allows you to call your product "hand made", and that means you can charge extra. Even "hand made" biscuits cost more than mass produced biscuits, for example.

And the fact that every guitar made is a little different from another, not the 1/1000 of a mm accuracy you get with computerized cnc machines. I appreciate a good craftsman whether its a luthier or a carpenter.

just my 2 cents

PetJyr said:
And the fact that every guitar made is a little different from another, not the 1/1000 of a mm accuracy you get with computerized cnc machines. I appreciate a good craftsman whether its a luthier or a carpenter.

just my 2 cents

Yeah me too......that's why some guitars just have a feel and a sound that can't be duplicated - it's the human element in putting them together.

It's incredibly close to the way that the early Fenders were put together in the '50s.

Definitely the way to build a guitar! Great video series, Thanks for posting this. :D

Passed this by a luthier friend, this is what he had to say:

Although the guy shaping the Strat. body looks as
though he's routing by eye, the truth is he is working what is called a
heavy duty pin routing machine. The main body is shaped via a master
pin on the steel table whilst the cavity work and neck pocket are
achieved by way of a master holding jig that has these profiles cut
underneath, which in turn is contolled by the table pin system. It
ensures accuracy every time. This is the old way of doing it as most
people use CNC equipment now which keeps the operator clear of the
action. In terms of health and safety, what I'm seeing here completely
flaunts such issues - no ear defenders - no sawdust mask or eye
protection. Dreadful practices.

There's a better series of videos on the deviser website now.

http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/documents/index.php?content_id=11

Dave

Back