Which FX for me??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Play in two ocassional bands. Punk one and a classic rock one. I use either a burny LP or Yamaha SG through a Marshall AVT with additional speaker. Tone is OK and good enough for me. For some years I have used a tonelab, but...its heavy, im lazy, I could never get the exact tone I wanted and it has so many damm buttons. I just want to simplify!

I simply want that fat rock sound, (Steve Jones tone is OK by me) with a button to kick for fatter loader deeper sound for my hopeless solos. (Hope that makes sense!)

Yes...how long is a piece of string...but recommendations for something simple, easy etc?

ask 100 people 'which distortion pedal' and you'll get as many answers, I have a Keeley DS-1(very metal), a BBE green screamer(very SRV) and a ?18 Daphon overdrive which sits between the two and sounds great IMO.

I would suggest trying some out at your local guitar shop, it's a very personal thing.

Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS9 or TS808) Not distortion but overdrive - big difference.

Probably rated as one of the "must have" pedals if you want something basic and with balls.

John's right, it's very personal. I have a TS9 Tubescreamer, which is good, but also a Boss OD2 Turbo Overdrive. While the Ibanez has the edge, the Boss does have a turbo function which boosts the overdrive to a higher level - too much for me. But it might be useful in a punk band.

Mike

Just to hijack the thread for a sec...
How old are your Tubescreamers?
I've got an original TS9(that i've left to Mick in my will...watch him hire a hitman now)...does anyone have a reissue?...or,god forbid, the newest incarnation?

Ozeshin said:
Just to hijack the thread for a sec...
How old are your Tubescreamers?
I've got an original TS9(that i've left to Mick in my will...watch him hire a hitman now)...does anyone have a reissue?...or,god forbid, the newest incarnation?

I had an original TS808 from the late 70's I bought with my first electric guitar. Don't know what happened to either......

I have a TS9 now from the late 90's

I don't know how old mine is, I bought it off eBay a year or two ago. I didn't know age made a difference to a simple metal box with a few transistors inside. :eek:

How do I tell how old it is?

stratman323 said:
I don't know how old mine is, I bought it off eBay a year or two ago. I didn't know age made a difference to a simple metal box with a few transistors inside. :eek:

How do I tell how old it is?

All you ever wanted to know:

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm

A bit more than I wanted to know actually! Looks like mine's a re-issue (CE), but it has the earlier type of battery cover, so not quite sure what it is.

Back