I just might have made a mistake.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Malloy

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150242318058&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

Hey guys can anyone tell me what this is and just how big of a sucker I am for buying it? LOL.

:>) Ok so it wasn't a big mistake but perhaps a mistake? Anyway it's not the same # as on my Standard PU's but it looks like the same kind of stamping so I thougt it might be from the same place. We will soon see.

Looks ok to me. The Maxon pickups from the 70s and early 80s have stamped serial numbers on the back and have two small (wiring) holes in each bobbin (near the polepieces). Gibson pickups have 3 small holes. The pickup is from 1980 according to the serial number. I don't know what pickup model it is. It doesn't look like a Ibanez pickup because they had a name engraved on the back like "Super 70" so I'd say it's a Greco pickup maybe a U-2000 or U-1000.

The stamped number font looks smaller and different than I typically see on Ibanez & Greco pickups from the late 1970 decade.

Well the stamp looks just like my 80 greco PU's. That I really like. I'm hoping it's a 1000 or 2000. That would be great. :>) Thanks for the info fella's. I paid Almost $100 for this with shipping so I really hope I like it. I tried a Texas Barbecue combination and I hated it. I was shocked. I lost all my high end. Just sounded thick and dull compared to the seemingly cheap and light PU's in the Standard. They have an amazing high end. A bit shy on the thickness and low end but I can get the amps to do that but I can't get amps to give me the high end it gives me. I'm a big fan of these Greco PU's. I had the Custom all twekaed out with a Tone Pros locking bridge put on. I don't like it compared to the Standard. This cheapy little $360 standard I got just feels much better to me. The neck is perfect. The Custom neck is a little thin for me and doesn't feel as rounded as the Standard. It sounds amazing but I can't get use to the feel. I think I'm going to sell it. The guy who worked on it was creaming over it and said he would sell it for $2000 in his shop. I think I'll let him do that and buy another standard. I never play it. It's thicker and meatier sounding than the Standard.

They have an amazing high end. A bit shy on the thickness and low end but I can get the amps to do that but I can't get amps to give me the high end it gives me.

That's what I've found as well. It's getting a good mid/top end that's hard with some pickups and the Greco pickups I've played have a great mid and top end. I also have DiMarzios and Seymours but for some things the Greco pickups stand out. I rely more on my amp for the bottom end.

My Teisco PUs are the best I have. Microphonic as can be but in the studio (which is where I mostly hang out) they sound better than anything else. Now if I could just get them on a playable guitar.

Really! The old Teisco pickups. I've never tried them. I'm pretty sure the Teisco pickups are in 1960s Greco and Ibanez guitars as well as Teisco guitars. I'd say they would be unpotted so they would be microphonic.

I bought a spray painted white Teisco looking thing for $40 on ebay 4 years ago and it's near imposible to play but it has the largest tone of ANY of my guitars. Sounds amazing and you can talk into it. LOL.. Which could come in handy when I'm producing some crazy kids modern rock record. I actually did a few solos on a record right when I took it out of it's lovely cardboard falling apart box with it cause the tone was so amazing. It's ugly but I recognized the PU's from my tiesco I had as a kid and had to have it. I'm thinking about buying a old mini humbucker Greco tha's in pieces and throwing them in it. I'm looknig to buy anything Greco at this point. I'm hooked. Both my Grecos smoke my Hamer Artist. Which is a VERY nice guitar. Seth Lovers in it. Sounds like nothing compared to the Grecos. No vibe. Super genaric. Plays like butter though I will try this new Greco PU I just bought in the Hamer perhaps.

I got it. It seems to be a Neck PU. Bummer. I'm going to try it in the bridge anyway. I'm not sure yet which guitar to try it in I'm thinking the Hamer. I'll report back when I do no matter what I decide.

In a word. Awesome. Nicer more defined high end than the Seth Lover. And louder than the PU's in the standard and with the same high end. But better. Thinking maybe I should take the covers off the Custom. I just saved my Hamer. It was already very good now it's rediculous. I got lucky...

I would have bought it for that price. I just missed out on some Maxon "Super 70" pickups out of an old Ibanez. The old Maxon pickups are very well made and sound great. Maybe one day I'll get some Dry Z pickups.

Back