Is the Greco nut the same size as the Gibson?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Greco nuts are metric around 43 mm but I could be wrong. On a post here some time ago someone did a measurement comparison of Gibsons and Japanese LP's. I'll try to find it.

Great thanks. I'm replacing the nut on all of them and need to know the size. It seems standard to me. But I don't have a Gibson Les Paul here and I don't have a measuring tool accurate enough.

http://www.swedenblue.com/tillsalu/Greco_EGC.html This guy says they are 43mm and my 1979 Greco seems to be 43mm as well so I'd say 43mm is it.

Interesting. I hope they can make it that size. Honestly though part of me says don't put a new one on. I just threw a new Rio Grande Barbecue humbucker in the bridge position of the Standard and it sounded like ***. All that amazing high end I was getting was GONE. I put the old PU back in and sending these new ones back. These Greco PU's, even the cheaper ones must be hand wound. I don't know what they did but all my Greco PU's sound better than anything I've ever heard. The P 90 in the Super real JR is nothing short of amazing. The PU'S in the Custom, steller and the PU's in the standard although weaker in the low end and low mids have a top end that's almost Fenderish. Amazing. I thought a new custom PU from a hot shot Co. would have the same high end and the thickness. But no. Just mud. I couldn't get it out fast enough.

Yes. All of the pre 1982 Greco and Ibanez pickups were made by Maxon who made the original Tubescreamers and the old Maxon pickups are great and more guitarists are now aware of just how good they were. Someone buys a 70s Ibanez now and it might have had it's pickups swapped out for DiMarzios or whatever and the new owner often wants to get a set of original Maxon made "Super 70" pickups and replace the DiMarzios or whatever. I've used "Super 70" pickups and U-1000 pickups and they seem very similar and have a great sound. I've got a U-1000 pickup in my Fender Japan Fat Strat and a U-1000 in my 1979 Greco. Putting the U-1000 in my Fender Japan Fat Strat made a huge improvement over the stock pickup.

Now they want to know the thickness they say it's either 6MM or 5MM. The guy on the link doesn't have that listed. Anyone have a clue. I have tried and failed to measure accurately.

Buy a 6mm, a decent tech (or even me) can take 1mm of a nut in 2 minutes, or buy both and use the one that fits.

Well I don't have to buy it and they are sending both. :>) Yeah I can file a nut too. Just did it in fact. They were asking so I was asking.

Latest posts

Back