81 Breezysound bridge replacement

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

81breezy

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the 6 saddle bridge on my 81 Breezysound with a 3 saddle compensated brass one. I'm thinking Wilkinson or Joe Barden. Has anyone got a recommendation? Also any advice re screw spacings. I've read that some bridges don't have the same spacings.

Currently trying to find specs for the Joe Barden. If that doesn't work out I'll follow up your suggestion. Thanks again.

Ps The Wilkinson bridge screw spacings appear to be slightly narrow for a clean replacement.

The screw holes don't line up prefectly, between a stock Tokai 6-saddle and stock Tokai 3-saddle bridge (from the '80s).

I don't know about other brands, but the difference was enough that I didn't replace the 6-saddle on my '81 Breezy... I didn't want to fill original and then drill new holes...

Tim

I believe there was a change in the mid 80s from imperial to metric measurements. Consequently the spacings changed.
If I have to mess with the screw holes I'll probably leave the current bridge on too.
If anyone can tell me where I can find the specs for the Joe Barden bridgeplate, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi 81breezy!

The older Mighty-mites are a good choice if you like a very soft brass sound, they have slightly more volume (and size, so you have to put something beneath the neck). Just difficult to get hold of them nowadays.

The newer Stewmacs are better IMHO.

Platewise I've tried Wilkinson, Rockinger, Mighty-mite and of course Tokai and Fender. I went back to Tokai on my player. Please do not forget that the saddles do not live on their own!

If you like/love the tele sound I'd really recommend to change the pups (altough an 81 should have CARs) to Nocasters or SDs.

Test and try!

Cheers. Rup

Sorry, forgot about the spacing thingy. I thought this was discussed inside out already. Of course there was a change, happened 1983/84 for Breezys.

Happened for some LSs in 1981.

Rup

Hi guys,
I did this job for a customer last month.

I used a Gotoh tele 3-saddle bridge and Allparts compensating saddles.
.....works perfectly.
I have a pic somewhere I will try and post....
regards
Peter

Latest posts

Back