What's EG59-50's place in the line?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krank

Reaction score
Vintage 1982 or 1984. How would this differ from other model numbers? Low or high end?

I've got several. It is low end. They made an EG59-45, often seen in black finish. Having said that, I have two EG59-50's from 1984, and both are fantastic guitars. They are actually far superior to a couple of EG59-70's I've owned and since sold. I also have an '82 EG57-50 that is terrific, so in my experience the low end models don't necessarily mean lower quality.

Hi guys, the lower end models were basically the same guitars as some of the higher end ones, they were 2 piece tops and 2 piece backs and quite often the only difference was pickups.. :)

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi guys, the lower end models were basically the same guitars as some of the higher end ones, they were 2 piece tops and 2 piece backs and quite often the only difference was pickups.. :)
Mick

Mick makes a really good point here. Other than the Dry 1982 pickups, most of the other Greco pickups on Mint Collection models (like Double Trick or Screamin 82) have been hit or miss. I've dropped Dimarzios in a couple of my EG59's (Norton or Virtual PAF's) and never looked back. Made a huge difference for the better.

leadguitar_323 said:
Mine has the dry 1982's and they are staying put ....awesome tone.. :D

Mick

An EG 59-50 with Dry pups stock? Excellent.

Can you point me to a link of a catalog or similar that explains the line 1982-84.

Krank said:
An EG 59-50 with Dry pups stock? Excellent.

They came with Sreamin' 82s in 82. Only difference between the -45 and -50 was the three piece vs two piece top. See this thread Mint Collection Les Paul '82 or '92?

Can you point me to a link of a catalog or similar that explains the line 1982-84.

I found all the Greco catalog scans on a Japanese page, but can't seem to dredge it up. It was a blue index page with full-size scans linked.

IIRC, the -40 had solid finishes, while the -45 had bursts like the -50s, but as mentioned the -45s had three piece tops rather than the two piece like on the -50s.

I got 2 of the eg59-50's from 84 as well. Ones black but has a 2 piece top I guess that makes it a 50. The last one I got was beat to hell but, it rings like a bell all the way up the neck. so, lower model number doesn't mean less quality.

every chance in could be chambered my eg59 - 60 was and that just sucks away the tone and the worst greco i owned

barburny said:
every chance in could be chambered my eg59 - 60 was and that just sucks away the tone and the worst greco i owned

I've read others say that chambered bodies can actually have even better tone - of course, guitars are different, as are people's taste in tone.

Latest posts

Back