Sycamore or Maple Laminate/Veneer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
Seeing as how I never cared for the sycamore laminate/veneer tops on any of my Burny RLG Super Grade Models, I was wondering if any of the 'experts' here on the TF know if the 1980 Greco EGF-1000 (below) has a maple or a sycamore top?

It looks more like maple to my eyes than the Burnys that I've owned but I'm not convinced, and I've never been a big fan of flame veneer laminates any way.

So, what's the verdict folks; sycamore or maple here?

EGF-1kabomination.jpg

That looks like maple to me, As far as the Burny's go, it's the ones with the sycamore tops that turned me off them. I'd rather have a plain top, to me sycamore tops never look authentic, they give the guitar a cheap look, which is a shame since the guitars are well made.

This is a 1980 Greco EG450 with a Sycamore top according to the greco catalogues.

sycamorelo4.jpg

japanstrat said:
This is a 1980 Greco EG450 with a Sycamore top according to the greco catalogues.

yes, and as you can see, the annular ring structure is VERY straight, just as the veneers on the Burnys have the very straight annular ring structure

the maple veneer's annular rings that I have seen utilized for solid body tops do not usually have such a tight, rigid, uniform, and straight pattern

the flame patterns in the sycamore examples are also very uniform & boring, with little if any character, as compared to the maple counterparts

the sycamore is just boring....................but thanks for that; it helps in the thread..................

leadguitar_323 said:
Don't panic too much guys, sycamore is from the maple family anyway so its still a "maple veneer"..

Mick

Mick, I can see where you're coming from but labeling sycamore as maple is a bit like calling a Volkswagen a Porsche

Back