Honeyburst Super Real. Only EGF 1200?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNS said:
So only the Super Reals had the correct carved top. Not the Mint Collection.
The alu stoptail was only on the egf1200. Not on the lower number models..
And the tinted laquer was only on the EGF 1200 Super Real. On many Mint Collection though..

That makes mine a 1200! 8)

So, what pickups are in there...............

MIJvintage said:
DNS said:
So only the Super Reals had the correct carved top. Not the Mint Collection.
The alu stoptail was only on the egf1200. Not on the lower number models..
And the tinted laquer was only on the EGF 1200 Super Real. On many Mint Collection though..

That makes mine a 1200! 8)

So, what pickups are in there...............

One changed and one DRY.

I don't think the lacquer is not tinted.....where did you see that?

i think thats just age, and exposure to sunlight surely?

I have seen all super reals with differing colours on the lacquer from clear to brown...

I don't think you can say its a 1200 for sure yet..

the 3 piece back is not normal for a 1200...although thats not to say there were none....

villager said:
I don't think the lacquer is not tinted.....where did you see that?

i think thats just age, and exposure to sunlight surely?

I have seen all super reals with differing colours on the lacquer from clear to brown...

I don't think you can say its a 1200 for sure yet..

the 3 piece back is not normal for a 1200...although thats not to say there were none....

I'm just guessing from bad catalog scans. So it's not dirt then is it?
Which had the aluminum tailpiece?

Edit:spelling

After having another look at your headstock photo DNS, the shape looks ok for a low end EGF (headstock shape that is), but, it's the Greco logo, it just does not look right......to me

The o is open, and the G is does not look correct either....

The EGF1200 Greco logo on the headstock is very thick for a 1980 model, then thins sligtly for 1981.....

But it's the shape of yours that does not look right? IMHO for any EGF

Mick

ok .. the lacquer..

yellows with age normally, but can be very dark if exposed to sunlight and/or smoke...

as far as I am aware the nitro on all greco's starts out the same colour,

mick, its an 82 greco...so the closed O has been replaced by the open O of the mint collection...its a left over 1981 neck, still with the superReal logo on...(so they must have put the super real logo on before the greco logo in fujigen....)

the test to see if the body is superreal or mint collection is the tenon, if its a long tenon its a mint collection 82 body, if the tenon is normal LOOKING.. then its a super real...(also is long tenon ..but under the PU cavity so looks like normal)

so i have seen...

1. superreal necks and super real bodies with dry Z and the open O
(i have one on my site at the mo..the 82..)

2 superreal necks and mint collection bodies, open O, with the card saying EG58-120, even with the superreal logo, and Dry 1982,..

there was no actual manufacturing cut off point for superreals...they just sort of drifted into the mint collection....

still doesn't tell us the model no though....

EG58-120 is one guess, but the 3 piece body suggests a lower model number, so maybe a EG-58-100 which also had dry 1982....IF thats an original PU...

or it could be an EGF-850, with swooped PU's......LOL....

whats the tenon look like?

villager said:
mick, its an 82 greco...so the closed O has been replaced by the open O of the mint collection...its a left over 1981 neck, still with the superReal logo on...(so they must have put the super real logo on before the greco logo in fujigen....)

Ok, thanks Mark

Mick

You have too compare it to an 1982 year model.
This is:Greco Super Real EGF-1200
Honeyburst 3, 1982, at;
http://www.japanguitars.co.uk.
egf12001982villagers.jpg

Mine at slightly different angle. I't also lacks some paint at the nut. And the tuners are changed. The nut might also be changed.
GrecoDNShead-1.jpg

Edit smaller picture..

yes thats mine ...with dry Z and a superreal body..

for the mint collection you can tell nothing from the Greco headstock logo..all the same ..so that could be a superreal neck on any mint collection or superreal body type...

.so still we are no further...

whats the tenon look like?

Woops, you have been talking while i have been writing..

It's a long Mint Collection type neck joint extending in under the pickup.
Oh was there an EG58-100? Thought it was EG59-100 and EG58-120 what ever the difference might be..

I saw something when I examined my head: The truss rod cover differs from the ones I've seen on the net. Mine is stepped between the black and white layers and it seems the ones i've seen in the pictures have a flat angle.Is that understanable..?
But it might have been changed too, it has have an hard life this one. No extra screw holes though.

EDIT: Actually after some research the original gibson trussrod was stepped. And the only one without it is Villagers 1982 pictured in previous post. The other EGF's seem to have the stepped ones..sorry.

Is'nt the main difference between the Super vs Mint bodys the rounded vs the flat carving in the pickup area on the top.
I would say I have a Mint neck with Super writing on head and a Super body.
Rather the best from two worlds..

stoptail easy to change, truss cover same...

its not a mint neck...its a superreal neck...

and the body carve was never constant...

so....

do you have a pic of the tenon?

thats the only way to tell for sure if the body is mint or superreal...but the neck is superreal....

So which Mint models have the curved top? The EG58-120 is flat.
What makes my neck a Super Real if it has the extended tenon?
And whats the difference between a Super Real vs a Mint body exept the extended tenon, if not the curve cut.

DNStenon.jpg

no mint collection has a flat top..!!!

ll the mint have a carved top....as do the super reals ...the shape may differ from each guitar..but they are all carved....

the mint collection tenon looks like a normal long tenon...ie it extends into the PU cavity visably...the superreal body joint looks like that pic there...

but the pic you emailed me earlier was a mint collection type long tenon...

maybe you emailed me the wrong one?

there is no way of fully establishing what model you have....

The picture in my previous post shows a long tenon extending in under the pickup. Look again! No dowels either mind you.
It's a bit left in the "bottom corner", like a step but everything is the same piece of wood.

I'm sorry but I have only sent you pictures of the head and the body, none of the cavity. You have mixed up the pictures with somebody elses

Im not saying they weren't carved, read again.
Only the surface right under the pickup mounting rings is flat rather than curved. Curved as in unflat, not carved.
Like this EG58-120, which is rather flat:
eg58-120_13.jpg

Which models had the alu stoptail as original equipment?

ah ok my error..wrong pics...

ok from that angle you can see the long tenon well ..so its a superreal neck, with a mint collection neck joint...

i see no relevance in the amount of carve...they all vary...

and no fret binding points to mint too...

Back