Guitar World 2004 Buyers Guide

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
Just got back from vacation where I took some reading materials with me to enjoy...What the H*ll is up with Guitar pricing?!!!When did guitars, any guitar start costing more than $3,000 dollars? I hate Guitar Center, I don't go there unless I have to! So I don't look at prices or what they have thats new . I get in and get out! That buyers guide is ri 8) diculous! And embarasing! What has happenned to my sport? I loved to look at the fold out in G World...When it was a Guitar of some note! Not the goofy looking guys from Korn! and now It's turning into a Gentlemans Magazine!! Bikini Babes and a 6 string in the foldout? My daughter thinks I'm an old pervert ! So Guitar World out! Back to Guitar Player and Vintage Guitar for reading enjoyment! Also no mention of the Worlds Finest Musical Instruments...Tokai!! Dillion is there! But look out ! everyone is pricing their stuff like Gibson now and Fender is buying all the other companies! I'm headed back to the Net for my shopping! By the way , there are no Tokais in the Bahammas, I looked! TG 8)

Hi TG

Just my add to the Guitar Center experience. Had never been, so I went to one three weeks ago in Phoenix. Place staffed by 20-something alternazoids intent upon playing Korn, Marilyn Manson and other detuned dreck at maximum volume throughout the entire store - even in the acoustic room it was too loud. The best sounding Strat there was a scratched-up Jimmie Vaughan, by the way - better than a Custom Shop Player Strat at $1,600.

All instruments were dinged heavily and obviously pawed badly. A pair of 10-year-old boys were dragging a sunburst Les Paul (bumping it along the floor as they were too short to actually hold it properly) on their way to the Marshall stacks. Tried to play a Fender Marcus Miller bass in the high-end room, just to hear what it sounded like acoustically and then perhaps through a small Ampeg, when another goateed clown came in, took a Paul Reed Smith off the wall, turned a 2x12 Marshall combo up to 8 and proceded to go "weedleweedleweedleweee" etc. at ear-splitting volume - in a very small place. Quickly fled and saved some hearing cells.

It seems the whole store is designed to make it impossible for people to hear what a guitar actually sounds like, acoustically and then amped, which is what I thought the whole thing was about. Maybe I am getting old, but what chaos - why buy there? A hideous landing in guitar hell - luckily they don't lock the door behind you.

Steve

p.s. Did find a really cool music store called The Bass Place in Scottsdale, Ariz. They had a used Reverend 5-string that sounded like the best Jazz Bass you ever heard, excellent condition, early serial number, w/ hard case for $500. Was sorely tempted but my wife and son were there, so ... someday (maybe) :wink: But those Rev basses are great - warm and funky and the low B is just gut-rattling! It's so cool sounding you just start laughing at how low and clear it is!

Latest posts

Back