82' LC - Rosewood or Ebony?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allthumbs

Reaction score
I'm not a lot of good with wood types so I'm asking .... does this look like rosewood or ebony? It's a close-up of my 82' LC??? fretboard (I'm still trying to determine whether it's a 60 or a 100 and your advice would help...thanks!
IMG_1187.jpg

[/img]

I'm no expert, but based on the fact it has fret-edge binding I would say it's a high-end model so probably a LC-100

So if it's rosewood then that would suggest that the guitar is an LC60?

It's a bit of a confusion because it is most definitely a one-piece neck and I am 99% certain that the back is one-piece.

The serial number dates it to 82' but I can find no other markings to indicate if it's a 60 or 100.

Anything else I can check?

BTW: I have the original hang tag with the serial number on it but it lists the model as an LS100 (It's definitely a Custom).

allthumbs said:
So if it's rosewood then that would suggest that the guitar is an LC60?
Yes
It's a bit of a confusion because it is most definitely a one-piece neck
All MIJ LS/LC Tokais feature a one pcs. neck

The serial number dates it to 82' but I can find no other markings to indicate if it's a 60 or 100.
Anything else I can check?
Yes. If the guitar feature ebony fretboard, one pcs. back, nitrocellulose lacquer and 18 * head angle; you can be sure you have a LC100 - if not you own a LC60.
Hope that helps.
Have fun and enjoy your Tokai lady

togps said:
Yes. If the guitar feature ebony fretboard, one pcs. back, nitrocellulose lacquer and 18 * head angle; you can be sure you have a LC100 - if not you own a LC60.
Hope that helps.
Have fun and enjoy your Tokai lady

It's definitely nitro, one-piece back, and 18 degrees. It seems to me that I read in the catalog that a one-piece neck was a "feature" of the 100 - not mentioned on the "60 spec". So that leaves what appears to be the rosewood fretboard.

Add in the "LS100" hang tag and maybe I have an oddity on my hands.

Regardless, she's a beauty.

Latest posts

Back