Burny Super Grade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How are these guitars? I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Burny-Super-Grade-of-Real-Quality-Japan-NICE-785_W0QQitemZ170187064689QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem on ebay, and I think it looks rather stunning. The only problem is that I don't know anything about Burny. Does this sound like a good deal?

How is this compared to the Edwards 98LTS and 130LTS?

The Burny in the link is either a RLG70 or RLG 90, of which I don't really know the difference, as they both have cheesy laminate tops, and I've owned several. I also sold them all, lol.....................

Check this photo.
On the left is a RLG50 & on the right is the RLG70 or RLG90, take your pic.
RLG-80RLG-903.jpg

With the RLG50 you will get a true 2 piece & center seam maple top but usually a very plain looking top.

With the RLG70/90 you will NOT get a true 2 piece center seam maple top, at least not on any example I have seen.
The maple tops are always off centered & once in a while will actually be 3 piece.
You WILL get a cheesy looking sycamore laminate top, that is center seam but that is only about 1.5 mm in thickness.
The laminates also can have problems (delamination & shrinkage) which you will not get with the RLG50 solid top

These are about the only major differences that I'm aware of.

I much prefer the true 2 piece center seam tops of the RLG50 plain tops.

If you want a cheesy looking sycamore laminate, then jump all over that RLG in the link ............:lol: .....................................

Hi,
it seems to be a late 80s/early 90s Burny.
Nice guitar, but there are (optically) nicer Burnys from that time.
I guess it is a good guitar, but the price seems a little too high, imho.

I never had an Edwards Paula in my hands so far, so i can't compare.

Bye
B.III

It's a nice guitar, I have its twin. Probably the best playing guitar I own. Soundwise, though, I like my solid topper better. That is not to say that the rlg-70/90 doesn't sound good though. It does!

Back