this is my old Greco

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlin' blues band

Reaction score
hello, I'm new in this forum. I'm from france and I'd like to have some information about my Greco les paul custom type. This guitar sound fantastic. I can compare it my my marvelous Gibson 345 from 1959 with original PAF and the Greco sound is...amazing.
If you have some information about this guitar (date, name type, etc...)
Thanks
HBB

my.php
[/URL][/img]

This is my first time on this board,
I just bought the same exact model yesterday and believe me Ive researched it all over the net and I know mine is exactly like the one in the pictures posted. Ive noticed this model has a little loop in the R in Greco at the top of the head stock. But **** if these babies dont sound amazing. Any info on this model of guitar would be greatly appreciated.

thx

JM

It's a 1970s Greco. If it's got a serial number on the back of the headstock then it's from the mid to late 1970s and if it has no serial on the back of the headstock it's from the early to mid 1970s.
These Grecos are about the same as the Ibanez Les Pauls from the same years.
Some had chambered bodies and the Ibanez guitars had Super 70 (Maxon) pickups and the Greco had similar U-1000 (Maxon) pickups.
The 1970s Grecos and Ibanez's were mostly made by the FujiGen guitar factory.
Seeing that the 1970s Greco and 1970s Ibanez Les Pauls are very similar you can get a lot more info on the Ibanez Collectors site http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/ and also from old Greco catalogues.

Yeah mine has no serial number on the back and the guy i bought it from told me it has Super 70`s pick ups. I also have a Greco strat that sounds amazing it blows away my Fender American deluxe when it comes to vintage strat tone. I love this LP one of the best deals Ive ever gotten

btw thx for the info bro

JM

my books say the headstock logo change from Gneco to Greco occured 1974/75. Early 70s Grecos did not have serials so dating them precisely is not easy. I have an old semi hollow with the same star tuners as yours...again, seem to have been used early on 70s models, but the p`ups in mine do not match anything I`ve been able to find in the books, nor does the guitar actually...the ones I`ve seen either have different inlays, a different bridge or p`ups switch positioning but haven`t seen one yet that matches the one I got here. Mine has plastic saddles and says Gneco on the p`up covers.. It resembles a few models I`ve found on line but doesn`t match them exactly...I like mine. it`s in really great shape for a guitar it`s age.

forsaleIII221.jpg

Back