ST 100 '83 Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
Sorry, what's a head shop?

I asked the (black) guy at my local electrical shop if they had any black lights, and I think he thought that I was taking the p*** at first! All he could suggest was some sort of UV light?

Mike

Sorry for the slang terminology - a head shop is where one buys things such as rolling papers, pipes, bongs, planting and growing supplies, detox products and assorted other paraphernalia for um, how shall I say this.......mind enhancing hobbies or lifestyles. :wink:

Black lights are the purple colored flourescent light tubes that illuminate those groovy old glow in the dark posters, paint, your teeth and white tshirts. Makes everything that's white glow a bright white/blue in the dark. They really don't throw off any illumination - just a limited spectrum color. While they do work to a degree in lighted conditions, they work best in dark rooms or areas.

Also, some strip clubs have carpet with designs on them that glow in the dark thanks to black lights.......but who's looking at the carpet? (Well at least THAT carpet?)

Hello all,

Ok, I broke a golden rule in forum and vintage guitar descriptions. The story of my shame follows:

First of all, I had "assumed" (and you all know what that does) that the guitar in question had a nitro finish; First of all, because I bought it as a model 100. And second, because it looks like it. So, the other night when I saw Gabe's post, "So is this guitar nitro or poly Richard?" I said to myself, "Self!?" you have assumed this guitar to be nitro, but have you verified it? The answer to self was, "no". Unfortunately, The alleged "black light" I had been bragging about was in the possession of the band I manage. They borrowed it to verify the authenticity of the tickets for the show we did Friday the 26th, and I had not retrieved it. So, in my zealous haste (because this is so stinking much fun) to answer Gabe, I went and gathered all of my Tokai Strats together and examined them side by side. Some are known to be Nitro, and some Poly. I put this one in the former category. It looks more like the nitro models than it does the poly models, plain and simple. Still, there was that dreaded seed of doubt left in my mind.

So I did retrieve my black light and went straight way to test the validity of my proclamation to all of you. And to my utter horror, she did not pass the audition. That's right folks, just like a cheap date, she is definitely and most assuredly clothed in poly.

Now that that is out in the open, you may ask, don't you feel better? Well, I do, in that I have come clean. But I am still reeling from the fact that I published on this forum a unverified fact as if it were verified. In retrospect, I should have been transparent to you, and let you in on the whole story at that time, and let you know I would check my claim later.

All I can do is ask the forums forgiveness, and promise not to let it happen again.

On to other things; Mainly for the interest of the forum to study, I have updated the extra pictures, namely the one of the trem block that was requested, although, I should have cleaned the dust off so you can see it. If anyone wants me to take another picture of it clean, I will be glad to do it. That being said, I want everyone to know that I have decided to pull my auction. I am leaving it up right now as a display. But I will pull it before it ends. The reasons are, there is just too much controversy surrounding this guitar in its current description. And secondly, I was not very keen on selling it in the first place, and now I have grown even more fond of it.

I have received a lot correspondence expressing interest in buying this guitar. And I really do appreciate it. I may change my mind later on and offer it up again with a correct description, including the knowledge gained in the discussion on this forum. In the meantime, I have identified other guitars that I can offer for sale to give me a little room. Unfortunately for most of you forum junkies, only one will be a Tokai, and it is a AST-62.

My summary on the guitar:

I had waited to hear from any that want to express them selves on this thread. Now here is what I think. Remember, I said I didn't take the neck off originally because I said it didn't look like it had ever been off. I am more convinced of that than ever now. When I took it off, the screws looked unmolested, and were very tight all the way out. I don't know if you know what I mean. But I have taken many necks off of vintage Fenders, and there is something about a virgin. I am not against taking necks off, and in this case it was definitely warranted. But I don't generally take them off for fun, or general interest. I think I can tell most of the time when one has not been taken off. I have also seen many times in the past where someone has damaged the finish taking them off, particularly on old nitro.

Therefore, I believe this is original, with the exceptions of string tree and two trem block springs. It may have been a special order with the metal guard. But never the less, I believe it is original to it. The only reservation is the bridge plate and jack plate. They are absolutely chrome. The tuners are very faded gold tone. But I have never seen any gold hardware fade this way. Not chipped off, just faded. Weird if you ask me. I looked with magnification at the saddles. I am just not sure. It is possible, that just like Gabe told me, ?it is maybe somewhat of a bitsocaster?. We may never know everything about this guitar, but that is part of the fun.

I do have the book that was mentioned. I have a friend from Japan, and as soon as I get some time I am taking it to him and see if I can get more information.

Well, enough rambling on out of me. Thanks for everyone's input and help. I can't wait till the next one.

Kind regards,
Richard

P.S. Shameless Plug: I am looking for very light, all original, high end LS and Vee models. Condition is not as important as originality.

May I say Richard,It`s been an a privelige and a pleasure daeling with some one as honest,witty and knowledgeable as yourself on this forum, in a way I`me sorry it`s over,but at least I`ll be able to get some sleep now, and my wife willbe able to have a conversation with me without me drifting off into Goldstar Mystery Land. Don`t leave it so long next time.If their was a TokaiForum Member of the Month competition you`d have surely won it hands down! With great respect,and good wishes,Gabe. p.s isn`t this the best guitar forum in the world?

marcusnieman said:
Sorry for the slang terminology - a head shop is where one buys things such as rolling papers, pipes, bongs, planting and growing supplies, detox products and assorted other paraphernalia for um, how shall I say this.......mind enhancing hobbies or lifestyles. :wink:

OMG! Drugs? Strippers? In Texas? I'm shocked.... I thought you guys just sat on your back porches and played blues?

:wink:

Suddenly I feel rather naive :oops:

Mike

CrusHtone said:
So I did retrieve my black light and went straight way to test the validity of my proclamation to all of you. And to my utter horror, she did not pass the audition. That's right folks, just like a cheap date, she is definitely and most assuredly clothed in poly.

Your honesty is most refreshing, specially after my recent experience. I'm sure that forum members will be happy to trade with you in the future. Thanks for an interesting thread.

Mike

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

OMG! Drugs? Strippers? In Texas? I'm shocked.... I thought you guys just sat on your back porches and played blues?

:wink:

Suddenly I feel rather naive :oops:

Mike

YEE HAA!! :D

CrusHtone said:
First, I searched for my records of who and when I bought this guitar from, and as of now I am unable to find them. I do know this, I bought this guitar from either Hisashi, Bluesyguitars, japanoldguitars, or possibly MIJguitars, as I have bought several from those sellers, and the only Tokais that I have bought from other sellers have been single purchases, and I remember those. I really believe it was Hisashi. It was sold to me as a model 100. Koizumi wrote to my auction an told me it is not a 100. And now I see the experts here agree.

Richard

>>>>>.CrusHtone.
I do not know this guitar.
I have not sold ST-100 in the past.

Thanks.

HISASHI

I thought it was being pulled off E-Bay :roll: .I see it was sold :eek:

:eek: How very strange :-? $910 (?450?) is a lot of money for a Goldie too.... :eek:

Mike

hisashi0731 Hello i hope you are well

Have you seen or known of a Goldstar ST-100 like this one and it has polly finish not nitro,i ask you because of your expertise.

I am sure other members await your reply

Thank You

Hi all,

First of all, I wanted everyone to know that I found the shipping box I got the guitar in. I bought this guitar from Katana Guitars.

Sorry it took me so long to figure out.

Also of interest, I told everyone I was pulling the auction. Well, I had never done this before, and didn't realize that you can't end it with less than 12 hours left. But I did talk to the buyer and explain everything to him. He was a very nice person and has agreed not to complete the transaction.

Which brings me to my next point. I am going to hang on to the guitar. I don't know what I was thinking. It is the only 3 tone and most unique one I have. And after all the fun we have had on here with it, I have grown a deeper connection with it. (I can't believe I said that last part.) What the hell, I know most of you are the same way about these things, Freaks! :D

And now this brings this episode of dialing for Goldies to a close.

Kind regards,
Richard

P.S. Thank you guys for the kind comments. I really do appreciate your kindness. And yes, this must be the best forum in the world.

CrusHtone said:
Hi all,

First of all, I wanted everyone to know that I found the shipping box I got the guitar in. I bought this guitar from Katana Guitars.

Sorry it took me so long to figure out.

Also of interest, I told everyone I was pulling the auction. Well, I had never done this before, and didn't realize that you can't end it with less than 12 hours left. But I did talk to the buyer and explain everything to him. He was a very nice person and has agreed not to complete the transaction.

Which brings me to my next point. I am going to hang on to the guitar. I don't know what I was thinking. It is the only 3 tone and most unique one I have. And after all the fun we have had on here with it, I have grown a deeper connection with it. (I can't believe I said that last part.) What the hell, I know most of you are the same way about these things, Freaks! :D

And now this brings this episode of dialing for Goldies to a close.

Kind regards,
Richard

P.S. Thank you guys for the kind comments. I really do appreciate your kindness. And yes, this must be the best forum in the world.

Welcome to our little family.

CrusHtone said:
Thank you guys for the kind comments. I really do appreciate your kindness. And yes, this must be the best forum in the world.

Richard,

I haven't taken part in this discussion, but must confess that I'm very happy about your feedback to the forum in general and to the guys particularly who had been involved ...
The way of discussing something also depends on the people who are in - so your honesty and your attitude here have made that you also have a big stake in this result ... enjoy being here !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

I'd say: trust your dealer. Here is an ST100 (not Goldstar, sorry) I got from Gottfried.

9a098f00.jpg

I have started a new thread on blacklights:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9474

for those of us who want to check if our guitars are poly or nitro, without having to dissolve the finish to do so. :eek:

Mike

Back