ST 100 '83 Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I'd like to applaud Richard for coming on here and trying to answer critics of his guitar. I always feel a bit guilty coming on here--it's like talking about someone else behind their backs!

ST100 Gold Stars doesn't exist and were never ever available.
Be aware!

I don't want to disagree with an expert like togps, but there are a couple of things about this guitar that seem like they could be correct, or close to correct. First, for sure there was a TST-80 Goldstar --there is a photo of a TST-80BB (black) with a 4 digit serial number, with Final Prospec saddles in a book/magazine called Young Guitar Japan Vintage vol.2 (pg16). With 1982 Springys only the higher end (ST-80 and up) models that are 1954 copies have 4 digit serials (at least according to Japan Vintage). My Japanese is really weak, but in the same publication, page 33 there is a reference to a TST-100! There are too many kanji for me to be able to read this, but if I can figure out how to post a scan I will try to put it up here--maybe someone else can translate!

The metal scratchplate is the thing that gets me. There is a PB-80 (1982 catalogue) that is the top-of-the-line Hardpuncher bass with a perfect match to the scratchplate on this Goldstar. They're goddawful ugly IMO but it's exactly the kind of custom thing this company would have done perhaps on a custom order? I've seen some earlier Fender guitars with this--I guess it's good for shielding pickups........

I own what I think is probably a fairly early 2 tone Sunburst Goldstar with a 2-piece alder body, what I believe to be Nitro finish and "U"stamped pickups and C profile maple neck (there was an identical Goldstar posted on the forum last spring? and I think the consensus was it was probably TST-50 or 60). Later Goldstars had "VI" stamped pickups if I'm not mistaken. If Richard's guitar is genuine, and were a transitional model (late '83-early'84), the "E" pickups would put this above my guitar. If it had a "V" profile neck, (nitro finish, E pickups 1 piece body??) I guess my line of thinking is that if all those factors are in place, even if this isn't a TST-100, (there is a slight chance in my mind that it could be....) it would be a TST-80.

Perhaps before we all jump on Richard and tell him to pull his auction we should ask him for some more photos? For one thing, I'd really like to know how many pieces the body is. If there were some photos of underneath the scratch plate where the finish is yellow it might be easier to tell how many pieces it is. The 3-tone sunburst, makes it really hard to see if there are any seams in the body. If it's one piece, that's a really promising sign this could be correct--if it's a 3-piece that's a deal-breaker. IMO that's a really dodgy looking headstock logo--I know these sometimes age badly but it looks a bit fake from the photos on the auction. If you can take a photo from a different angle that would show any wear on the logo that might help. Richard--if you're brave enough to pull the neck off that should be good proof that it's at least a Tokai neck--there are fairly distinctive stamps on the end of a Tokai neck. It's really not that hard to take a neck off (or even put it back on!)--someone recently posted good instructions on how to do it. Can we see some photos of the bridge assembly from the back, and perhaps some more of the pickup cavities? Also, details like the stamps on the back of the tuners (Deluxe, Tokai?). Profile of the neck (C, V, U?), with photos? I know it's a lot to ask, but it looks like there are some sceptics here....I'd love to see you prove them wrong! :oops: :D
________
Yamaha pc-50 specifications

cheshirecatsmile said:
First I'd like to applaud Richard for coming on here and trying to answer critics of his guitar. I always feel a bit guilty coming on here--it's like talking about someone else behind their backs!

ST100 Gold Stars doesn't exist and were never ever available.
Be aware!

I don't want to disagree with an expert like togps, but there are a couple of things about this guitar that seem like they could be correct, or close to correct. First, for sure there was a TST-80 Goldstar --there is a photo of a TST-80BB (black) with a 4 digit serial number, with Final Prospec saddles in a book/magazine called Young Guitar Japan Vintage vol.2 (pg16). With 1982 Springys only the higher end (ST-80 and up) models that are 1954 copies have 4 digit serials (at least according to Japan Vintage). My Japanese is really weak, but in the same publication, page 33 there is a reference to a TST-100! There are too many kanji for me to be able to read this, but if I can figure out how to post a scan I will try to put it up here--maybe someone else can translate!

The metal scratchplate is the thing that gets me. There is a PB-80 (1982 catalogue) that is the top-of-the-line Hardpuncher bass with a perfect match to the scratchplate on this Goldstar. They're goddawful ugly IMO but it's exactly the kind of custom thing this company would have done perhaps on a custom order? I've seen some earlier Fender guitars with this--I guess it's good for shielding pickups........

I own what I think is probably a fairly early 2 tone Sunburst Goldstar with a 2-piece alder body, what I believe to be Nitro finish and "U"stamped pickups and C profile maple neck (there was an identical Goldstar posted on the forum last spring? and I think the consensus was it was probably TST-50 or 60). Later Goldstars had "VI" stamped pickups if I'm not mistaken. If Richard's guitar is genuine, and were a transitional model (late '83-early'84), the "E" pickups would put this above my guitar. If it had a "V" profile neck, (nitro finish, E pickups 1 piece body??) I guess my line of thinking is that if all those factors are in place, even if this isn't a TST-100, (there is a slight chance in my mind that it could be....) it would be a TST-80.

Perhaps before we all jump on Richard and tell him to pull his auction we should ask him for some more photos? For one thing, I'd really like to know how many pieces the body is. If there were some photos of underneath the scratch plate where the finish is yellow it might be easier to tell how many pieces it is. The 3-tone sunburst, makes it really hard to see if there are any seams in the body. If it's one piece, that's a really promising sign this could be correct--if it's a 3-piece that's a deal-breaker. IMO that's a really dodgy looking headstock logo--I know these sometimes age badly but it looks a bit fake from the photos on the auction. If you can take a photo from a different angle that would show any wear on the logo that might help. Richard--if you're brave enough to pull the neck off that should be good proof that it's at least a Tokai neck--there are fairly distinctive stamps on the end of a Tokai neck. It's really not that hard to take a neck off (or even put it back on!)--someone recently posted good instructions on how to do it. Can we see some photos of the bridge assembly from the back, and perhaps some more of the pickup cavities? Also, details like the stamps on the back of the tuners (Deluxe, Tokai?). Profile of the neck (C, V, U?), with photos? I know it's a lot to ask, but it looks like there are some sceptics here....I'd love to see you prove them wrong! :oops: :D
Hi Cheshire, I have also owned a 2 tone sunbust goldie bought by me in 84,2piece body but almost certainly ash, U p`ups ,and with an st50 stamp, and very definately poly,not nitro finish. Gabe.

Dear Richard!

Please allow me to share a similar experience. I bought a Springy ST80 from Japan without a headstock-logo. The guitar was crushed immediately by very few but well known forum members.

After a few months of research and drill-down into the details and with the help of some highly respected japanese sellers I could determine that it actually is an ST80 from 1979.

Please do not get frightened just because you or your guitar do not receive the appreciation you deserve.

Cheers. Rupert

togps said:
:eek:
May I decide, when I would like to be present at this forum or not!!!
Ok??

Yes of course. You are free to come and go as you please.

I don't want to go into the Springy affair again, as Ned has closed the thread. However, there was a Springy being discussed where there was some disagreement about whether it was an ST60 or an ST80. It had previously been sold by you as an ST60, but earlier described by you as an ST80. I was being told, by the seller, "togps said this" and "togps said that", & I was trying to establish the truth behind the various claims.

I wasn't the only forum member who said "where is togps?" - others did too. There was a lot of confusion and ill-feeling which could have been settled by a post from you clarifying the facts. However, you decided to say nothing. That may be your right, but it didn't help matters.

You are widely respected on this forum Gottfried, and your words carry a great deal of weight. All I wanted was for you to speak out and clarify matters for all of us.

You're entitled to remain silent, but there's no need to slap me down like a naughty schoolboy for merely commenting that your presence in the discussion was sorely missed.

Please note Ned - I'm not trying to re-start the discussion that you closed.

Mike

I'd say Mike nailed it.

I admire Gottfried for his in-depth and long term knowledge about Tokai.

I spent a substantial amount of money and time buying great (and good) Tokai's from Gottfried as I did with MiJguitar, Hisashi and Mark. And I learned a lot.

But nobody got as arrogant as togps. I gave up and went ballistic, which was wrong too.

I believe to know what Gottfried is up to but I promised some time ago to keep it, and I will. However, I don't appreciate it at all. Since I started to question his motives he went "incommunicado".

So if you want to buy, he is a good source. But that's it.

Rupert, not sorry for being angry.

Hello all,

I really do appreciate all the good natured input on the pedigree of this guitar. In my view, this is the forum at its best. Very healthy discussion, that helps us all learn more about the guitars we love. I welcome opinions on all sides of this coin. Since writing yesterday, I have gained a little more knowledge about this guitar, but will reserve my opinion, and let you guys have at it. I will tell you this:

A: It is 2 piece center seem.

B: Soft V neck

C: The tuners and the saddles are gold. They are just very faded. The bridge plate is not gold. I hope my pictures are good enough for you to see.

D: I forgot something until I was taking the closeup of the logo. I changed the string tree. It had a round one. But I didn't think it was period correct, and another Tokai strat I have wasn't correct with this string tree, so I swapped them.

I will have to take more pictures of the back cavity tomorrow. The ones I took came out blurry.

By the way, I know ya'll don't know me here. So I wanted to tell all of you a little bit about myself. I am a novice when it comes to Tokai, but I am pretty sharp when it comes to American guitars, even the minor brands like Kay and Silvertone, but especially Gretsch and Fender. Also, I know my way around amps very well. In fact I do my own repairs and actually build them myself. So please forgive me for not being very active around here, but I do spy on all of you a lot, but generally keep quite.

So, without further adieu, here are the pictures: http://www.holdcell.net/eb/100/100.htm, and let the games begin!

Kind regards,
Richard

P.S. I have seen some of you talk about how to tell if a guitar is nitro or poly. There is a simple nondestructive test you can do. Use a blacklight. Nitro puts off a ghostly green hue, and poly puts off a dark purple look. In fact, old nitro will somewhat glow.

So is this guitar nitro or poly Richard? It will help us if you shed alittle more light (black of course) on the subject. Gabe.

Where can one purchase a blacklight? :eek: We should have a forum blacklight in every country - could save a lot of arguments!

Perhaps I can add a couple of points. First, there were Goldies with this type of decal on sale in London in December 1983. I know - I bought one! I found the old receipt last year when I had a sort out, so I know it's not a wrong memory. Presumably the block decal must have stopped at some point in 1983?

With regard to the decal looking wrong, as though it was applied later, well maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't. I haven't seen that on a Goldie before, but I have seen it on Springys. In fact one or two of the Springys that togps sold a few months ago on eBay had a decal that looked very similar in the way it had aged.

As to what Tokai thought they were copying, I would guess a 1954 Strat, though Tokai did tend to get some silly details wrong whilst getting most things spot on - they were funny like that. If the metal scratchplate is supposed to be a copy of the annodised aluminium that Leo used briefly in 1954, a round string tree would be correct for the period - Fender used them until 1955.

Mike

Greetings,

Gabe wrote:

So is this guitar nitro or poly Richard? It will help us if you shed alittle more light (black of course) on the subject. Gabe.

So sorry, for some silly reason I thought I had answered this. It is indeed nitrocellulose.

Mike wrote:

With regard to the decal looking wrong, as though it was applied later, well maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't. I haven't seen that on a Goldie before, but I have seen it on Springys. In fact one or two of the Springys that togps sold a few months ago on eBay had a decal that looked very similar in the way it had aged.

The decal doesn't bother me at all. To me it looks right on. I have seen many a Fender that has a decal that has aged this way. In fact, I have a very good friend who is definitely in the top tier of guitar experts in the world, who was visiting me over the weekend, and he mentioned the logo himself how he actually liked the look of it, the way it had aged.

As to what Tokai thought they were copying, I would guess a 1954 Strat, though Tokai did tend to get some silly details wrong whilst getting most things spot on - they were funny like that. If the metal scratchplate is supposed to be a copy of the annodised aluminium that Leo used briefly in 1954, a round string tree would be correct for the period - Fender used them until 1955.

The metal guard was available through 1960. The 3 tone burst first appeared in 1959. The round string tree as well as 4 digit serial number was very early, definitely gone by 1959.

I also forgot to mention that the jack plate is also, NOT gold.

I am having quite a bit of fun here.

Kind regards,
Richard

CrusHtone said:
It is indeed nitrocellulose.

Well if that's true, that contradicts what a number of experts on here have said. I have been told by a few people on here that NO Goldies had a nitro finish. Sounds like you're re-writing the Tokai history book here!

The decal doesn't bother me at all. To me it looks right on. I have seen many a Fender that has a decal that has aged this way

And some of the worst (or best, if you like that yellowed look) examples are on some of the Fender Custom Shop models.

This has proved to be a rather interesting & informative thread. I wasn't aware of the metal guard being used by Fender till 1960, but I do know that the round string tree ended around 1955.

Mike

The cat is truly now amongst the pigeons! Isn`t it time togps,and villager descended from their frosty olympian hights and put in an appearance on this forum?Or is this discussion only fit for us minor mortals? Gabe.

Hello all, I don't believe that there is anyone on this forum that knows without doubt everything about Tokai guitars. There are oddball guitars popping up all the time. I have an "ls 120" gold top from 2003, no such thing i hear you say, well it isn't a ls 145 because it has a 2 piece back and it isn't a ls 85 because it has a long tenon neck joint, so its one of those ones that everyone will have an opinion on but it is a custom order and its quite possible that the st 100 is a similar creature.........cheers Mick

So sorry, for some silly reason I thought I had answered this. It is indeed nitrocellulose.

I also forgot to mention that the jack plate is also, NOT gold

"Curiouser,and curiouser,said Alice". You must come on the forum more often Mike, it really messes with our minds! Gabe.

I mean Richard of course, who am I? where am I? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, what's a head shop?

I asked the (black) guy at my local electrical shop if they had any black lights, and I think he thought that I was taking the p*** at first! All he could suggest was some sort of UV light?

Mike

Mike,

UV light is what you want, if you try a photography shop (Jessops) they should be able to sort you out, or everyones best friend ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25W-BC-Energy-Saving-UV-Blacklight-Lamps-Light-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ260177593024QQihZ016QQcategoryZ20706QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Latest posts

Back