UK Tokai owners convention

Discussion that is not Tokai or guitar focused.

Moderator: ned

stratman323

UK Tokai owners convention

Post by stratman323 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 pm

I was wondering if there is enough interest to make it worthwhile arranging a convention, or meeting of Tokai owners in the UK? It would be an opportunity to meet other forum members, and if we each brought at least one Tokai (or similar) guitar, a great chance to handle the guitars we've read about but possibly never seen or played. I could bring a Springy & a Goldie, I'm sure other members can contribute many others.

Depending on the level of interest, I was thinking about maybe hiring a room for an afternoon or evening, hopefully somewhere where we could bring a couple of amps & play at moderate volume for a few hours.

The most obvious place would be somewhere in the Midlands, so it's not far from the northeners and southeners. But if enough people were prepared to travel to London, it would be much easier for me to arrange myself.

If this gets off the ground, overseas visitors will, of course, be very welcome :D

If anyone is interested, let me know. No dates in mind, just seeing if there's any interest.

Mike

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:03 am

Sound's like a good idea Mike, you can count me in!

Why not organise it in a hotel conference room so anyone travelling can book a room for the night, plus we could all have a beer or three and talk guitars after the event. You can normally get good rates on places if they are getting some room bookings.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:17 am

Sounds good, I assume you would bring your Springy ST80? Would you be prepared to come to London? Or is somewhere in the Midlands a better idea?

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:20 am

Midlands would be better for me, but depending on where everyone else is coming from I could travel to London.

I have an ST-80 & two LS-80 Reborn Old Les Pauls, a Goldtop & an 'Old Sunburst' I'd be quite happy to bring them all and let people have a play.

You should invite Godfried, He probably has more Tokais than the rest of Europe put together!

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:14 am

I'll be in Knaresborough (Yorkshire) in January.

You tie this into an EPL game and I'm there.

All kidding aside, if enough people commit and I don't have a gig or a race I will travel to the UK for this.

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:17 am

Ned,

Don't abbreviate the Premier League to the EPL, it sounds so American :wink:

Yorkshire is close by for me, I'd be quite happy to take you to a Middlesbrough game if it worked out.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 am

Well if the forum owner says he's coming, it looks like this is actually going to happen! Great. Has there been a similar event before anywhere in the world?

Mike

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:10 am

My buddy whom I'm visiting is friends with Steve Gibson, daughters attend same school. Boro is really struggling.

The event will need to have a good turn out before I officially commit, it's quite expensive to fly from Texas to the UK. But England is a really cool place and London is one of my favorite cities.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:25 am

So London would be better for you Ned? This might affect other people's views on where it should be held.

Mike

twinfan
Guitar God

Post by twinfan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:37 am

I'd be up for this...

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Any place I can fly into directly is good for me. London is just a cool city.

Figure if I'd fly across the pond for a Foo Fighters concert why not a Tokai gathering.

AlanN
Guitar God

Post by AlanN » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Newbs welcome? I'd love to attend (standard Alan disclaimer: depending on whether i'm in the country or not).

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Of course. It's a chance to meet, chat, and have a few beers, coffees etc, as John said earlier. Though it appears that my contribution, guitar-wise, won't be quite what I had hoped......

Still the new Goldie seems to be nice :-?

Mike

ZIPPY
Plucker

Post by ZIPPY » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm up for it , Midlands would be better for me though :D

bluejeannot
Guitar God

Post by bluejeannot » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:59 am

Count me in.Gabe.
bluejeannot