Greco Pot Replacement

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Tone

Reaction score
I just replaced the pots in my Greco EG59-70 with some from RS guitar works. I just wanted to comment on the procedure for those looking to replace theirs. I'm sure this has probably been covered before but I'll post it anyway.

First off the short shaft pots will work fine providing that you don't have some sort of ground plate that would increase the thickness. The nut goes on just enough but you could omit the washer on the bottom or use a thinner one to get more thread access if so desired. Also the diameter of the shaft is larger so I used a round file to ream out the wood to accommodate it. The file works well and it only takes a minute or so to enlarge the hole. A dremel tool would do but be careful.

Also the pointer holes had to be enlarged. You could get new ones if so desired. I used a dremel to open these up a bit. It didn't take much. The knobs are different size as well. I bought a pack of Gibson knobs and they fit perfectly on the new pots.

I won't comment much on the RS pots at this time since I only played about ten minutes but I will say the construction quality looked good and I like the feel they have. RS was very good to deal with.

I have attached a pic of the original Greco pot next to the RS for comparison.

Pots.jpg

Call me crazy but I usually am quite happy with the quality of MIJ electronics from the good years. Even the pickups.

Me too. One of my volume pot's were bad and I didn't have a choice but to replace it. So I did them all. Cleaning it did not help.

Me as well. I recently upgraded an '89 EG59-70 with Dimarzio Virtual PAF's, the RS Historic kit (pots, caps) new Switchcraft 3 way switch and new output jack. Could I tell a night and day difference? Not really.

I have an '82 Greco EG57-50 that I'm dropping a pair of Nortons into. Pickup upgrades in Greco's usually makes a significant improvement, but pots to me are much more subtle sonically. But I always run my volume and tone pots full up on Lesters. My #1 Greco EG59 from '84 is stock except for the Norton upgrade. They sound WAY nicer than the stock Screamin' 82's.

selling the screamin 82's? Wow! this is my 1st post! I had an acct a few years ago bu, t I couldn't remeber my user ID or password. :x

Back