Strange Brands

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matsumoku made the old Japanese Vantages for some distributor and later on I think someone bought the rights to the name and started making guitars with the Vantage name that have nothing in common with the old Japanese Vantages.

I found this

They were originally made in Japan by Matsumoku. They built them from the mid 70's to the early 80's. These were the guys who also did the Aria Pro II line of guitars.
In the late 80's or early 90's, the Vantage line was bought by Samick. They did primarily super strat type guitars. Some solid stuff, but nowhere near as good as the earlier MIJ stuff.

Glamrockmegastar said:
And Status and Onyx?
Ten years ago they everywhere now they are just gone!
(except my Onyx ric copy in pieces under my house)

Maybe they all broke :wink:
Status info...nowhere to be found....Onyx info.....very thin on the ground and mostly people at other MiJ forums asking the same question as you...sorry :(

japanstrat said:
Lots of Strange Brands pop up from time to time.
If anyone can add any info then please do.

Matsumoku made Aria, Westone, Epiphone Japan (first series before Yamano), Westminster (distributed by Kanda Shokai), some Greco Fender and Gibson copies from the 1970's, Vantage, Univox, Westbury, Skylark, Lyle, Fell, Electra, Washburn.
Chushin made Jackson, Azumi.
Morris made Morris, Bill Lawrence, H.S.Anderson.
ESP made Navigator, Zep-II, Edwards.
Kasuga made Ganson, Heerby, Kasuga.
Dyna made Joodee and were distributed by Daion.
Dyna made Founder and were distributed by Daion.
Guya made Guyatone and were distributed by Tokyo sound corp.
Tokai made Sigma and were distributed by Martin.
Chushin probably made Fresher and were distributed by Kyowa-Shokai (not Kanda Shokai) who also distributed some Jackson models in Japan.
Cimar made by FujiGen and also in Korea. Probably distributed by Hoshino or a Hoshino sub agent.
CSL and Antoria were imported by various music shops in the UK and are basically the same as Ibanez and some Korean models were probably made.
Profile were distributed in the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia and were probably made by Matsumoku and also in Korea.
There are also Profile effect pedals from the same distributor.
Terada were made by Terada and distributed by Daion.
Harptone were imported from the US and distributed by Daion.
Yamaki, Chaki, Hamox, Mitsura Shinano, Tamura, G.J. Gould & Sons, Joodee, Founder were distributed by Daion and were made by Dyna and Yamaki and probably others as well.
Joodee, G.J. Gould & Sons, and others were built to specifications of small USA distributors and often had the same model numbers as their Yamaki counterparts.
Gaban distributed by Hukuhara musical instrument company.
Gallan were distributed by Kyowa-Shokai (not Kanda Shokai).
Maya and "El Maya" were brand names used by a Japanese Trading Company from Kobe called Rokkoman.
Pearl were distributed by the Pearl Drum Company. The Pearl logo font on the guitars is the same as the Pearl logo font that's on the drums.
The Pearl Les Pauls have some design features in common with the Kasuga Les Pauls so the Pearls were probably made by Kasuga.

After a while all these strange branded guitars follow a pattern.
Music shops, companies producing machinery or whatever or business people would choose a brand name often with a Spanish sounding name like Gonzales or Fernandes and contract someone to make them and then they would try to distribute them.
They could just distribute them in Japan and get along quite well because the Japanese market is pretty big and they could also try to distribute them to other countries which would have been harder and not many survived doing it but of course Hoshino/Ibanez did.
Only a few of these brands have survived and some brands have been brought back by other companies after buying the rights to the brand name.
Also some USA and UK distributors would have guitars made in Japan with their own brand name like CSL etc.

and this is only scratching the surface of MIJ guitars...I`ve been saving pics of brands off Yahoo Japan for a couple of years now...must have 30 or more that are not listed here...there were dozens.

Onyx Guitars: Instruments previously built in Korea in the 1980's. The Onyx trademark was the brand name of an Ausralian importer. These solid body guitars were generally speaking entry level to intermediate quality. However the late 80's model #1030 bears a resemblance to the Mosrite Mark I with modern hardware. Source: Tony Bacon "the ultimate guitar book"

Thanks rayspang, now you mention it I remember reading that myself a few years ago. Great book, but with some glaring holes! :roll:

My very first electric was a sparkly blue Vester superstrat with a single locking trem an droopy Jackson/ Charvell headstock. Very Samick looking, but I am just guessing.

Any ideas of origin? Japanstrat, Sneaky, Ozeshin?
:-?
Thanks!

Vester was made in Korea by Vestax/Saehan(Sunghan) guitar factory.
Vestax/Saehan(Sunghan) built some of the Korean Fender Squiers with a V in the serial number.

Wow Ozeshin, I have never seen that Matsumoku forum before, thanks! In all my searching I have never come across it.
Does Antoria ring a bell for anyone? The other guitarist in my band has one, bought in th UK in in the late 70's. He has been told it is a Matsomoku guitar, would that be right?

Thanks for the Vester info japanstrat. Was Vester an Australian only brand?

There's Vester info at that Matsumoku board..
They were a US based piano company that used a Japanese electronics company(Vestax) to manufacture guitars and pedals under the name "Vester Fire" here in Australia.
I owned one of their compressor/noise gate combo pedals in the early '80's....the pedal was average but the power supply it came with I use to this day.
It was one of the first multi-pedal power supplies.
A power brick that came with 8 cables.

And just as a bit of an Eye opener for some people...here's list of popular guitar brands...1 model from each brand along with it's current country of origin:
Agile septor 7-string-Korea
AXL Fireaxe-China
Aria PE-Elite-China
BC Rich Assassin Outlaw-Korea
Cort Curbow_Indonesia
Dean Cadillac-Korea
Danelectro All models-50%korea and China
Eastwood All models-Korea
Epiphone Faded G-400 SG -China
ESP LTD-MH-Indonesia
Fernandes Revolver-China
First Act-China
G&L Asat Special-Indonesia
Gretch Electromatic-China
Honer-China
Hamer China
Ibanez ARX-China
Jackson DXMG-Japan(Yaaaaaayyyyy)
Michael Kelly-China
Parker-Korea
Peavey Generation series-China
Reverend Volcano Flying V style-Korea
Schecter-Korea
Washburn-Korea
All these models are (in US$) priced around the mid-range mark i.e.all under $500.
So I guess we need to treasure our MiJ guitars coz now more than ever it really DOES mean something to own a MiJ guitar.

You nailed a lot of brands in that post.
I found out the other day that the Jacksons from Japan are made by Chushin.

There is quite a bit of info about Antoria at the Ibanezcollectors forum.
http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
CSL and Antoria were imported by various music shops in the UK and are basically the same as Ibanez and some Korean models were probably made.

twinfan said:
There was also Pearl (as in the drumkit manufacturer). Here's my early 70s Matsumoku made Les Paul Custom copy:

Image055.jpg

I've got one of those! :D

Do you know for sure that it was Matsumoko made,as Pearls dont figure prominantly on the guitar gallery site and I can't see "?Pearl" listed as a definite Matsumoko brand.

How do you find the guitar? I absolutely adore mine, and feel it pretty much equals my Gibsons and Edwards in terms of quality.

Mine has led a harder life than yours by the looks of it, but I am never letting this one go.

pearl3.jpg

Pearlback1.jpg

pearl1.jpg

pearl4.jpg

I got the guitar from a UK website by mail order. I saw a few pics and took a gamble on liking it- which I do!

The photo I posted is very flattering, mine is actually in much more relic'd condition than yours! The wood around the neck joint has shrunk slightly over the years and all the finish is cracked, plus there's a load of dents/dings and a decent amount of forearm wear on the top edge. To me that gives it loads of character - I didn't buy it as an investment I bought it to enjoy it :D

The wood around the neck joint has shrunk slightly over the years

If the neck joint is moving due to cracked or shrunk glue you need to see a good solid body Luthier to repair it for you

Thanks for that. It's stable in that it's not getting worse, so I think I'll leave it for now. I'll worry about it if and when it's a problem!

That last lot of pics are really good.
It shows that the body is 3 solid pieces...like a `70`s s era pancake Custom.

Latest posts

Back