Love Rock wiring mod

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paladin2019

Reaction score
This may be a long shot, but has anyone tried (on a love rock or any twin-humbucker guitar) wiring all 4 coils of a pair of humbuckers in series?

I'd be interested to know how it sounds as I love unusual wiring arrangements there's a tone pot on my LR that's begging to be push-pullified.

In fact the coils on a humbucker are already in series. If you wire both humbuckers in series you'll get a higher output and horribly dull sound.

It's more interesting (but not very) to split the coils on a humbucker. Neither fish nor foul (fluoroescents and your computer monitor will suddenly be part of your sound!).

I've already coil-tapped them and have an out-of-phase switch 8)

Just thought it'd be an interesting thing to try - and I really want to find something to do with my last non-push-pull pot!

How do you mean 'horribly dull'? Would it make a difference if they were wired in a different order? Have you done the mod, or heard a guitar that has it?

I'm struggling with this. your question was about wiring the humbuckers in a Loverock in series. Pickups are strange things - if you want clarity and brightness you need a single-coil pickup with individual magnets. If you want power with clarity you go for a Fender humbucker with two coils and 12 magnets, 6 of them with reverse polarity. Or a Burns Trisonic.

As soon as you start to wire pickups in series you come up against "capacitance" or "inductance" issues - the higher the "ohmage" count, the more you roll-off high frequencies.

As soon as I learned all this I started to enjoy playing whichever guitar I had in my hands and stopped farting around with all the combinations.

Guitars are like women, you can't get a perfect one. But NEVER stop trying!

Back