ES-130 arrived

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telehack

Reaction score
My new (to me) sunburst ES-130 has arrived and I've been putting it through its paces.

The Good:

Finish is superb and attention to detail great. It resonates superbly. I tweaked the truss rod slightly and now it plays well right up the neck. I ended up droping the pickups quite a bit and arrived at what I think it a pretty good compromise. Output is lower, but the sound has a bit more "mystery".

The Bad:

When bending, my fingers are getting stuck (and squeaking!) on the rosewood board. Not everywhere, but in alot of places. The colour is dark, but it looks quite porous. I put some lemon oil on but that didn't seem to help much. I'm not sure what to do - more oil? I've heard that you shouldn't use that much. Perhaps it needs to be played in more and acquire some gig sweat. My Muddy Waters telecaster feels like ebony in comparison, it's so smooth. :cry:

Suggestions welcome.

-telehack

Hi Telehack,

Congrat's on yer new geetar - how 'bout a picture.

My ES120 also squeeked very slightly when I got it although the fretboard was nice a smooth. After occasional cleaning with lemon oil I use "fast-fret". which is more of a lubrication. It sounds like your fretboard it much dryer that mine but you might find that after a few applications of this the problem goes away.

PS I also had to slightly tweek the truss rod and lower the bridge. Feedback is normal on any guitar of this type so you have to be careful with your amp settings.

Dave

Yeah, I'll try to get some pictures up. Funny thing is I've got half a dozen pictures of your guitar! I had asked Back Alley music for some pics when I was shopping around. Nice guitar by the way.

-telehack

DaveWW said:
I use "fast-fret".
Dave

Guitar Luithers are turning in there grave all over the planet.

Fastfret clogs up Rosewood and causes major internal splinting of Rosewood if you get to much on the fretboard . I dont know one tech who has not gone apeshite over that stuff.

Reason : It contains an additive to its carrier that dont like Rosewood or other similar woods.

Lemon Oil ( not made from real lemons ! ) , Axe Wax and 99.9999999999999999% of all the cleaners are made up from food grade White Mineral Oil which is around ?2 for 5 litres ( enough to clean every Gibson, Fender, Tokai on the planet :wink: )

Johnsons Baby oil is White Mineral Oil, buy some UNCENTED ! stuff and use that, its soft to babies bottoms, Girlfirends Tits and all Rosewood and is 1/10th the price.

Hi BillyWizz,

Your comments on oil might be of interest but I strongly disagree ref fast-fret. I've used it for years and it's a good fretboard conditioner, does leave some residue which you have to wipe of and definitely extends string life. The residue and the need to wipe of the lint is the reason why some people don't like it - but that promotes good hygene. To say it causes internal splinting is complete rubbish. I find lemon oil cleans but doesn't really condition and I've used fast-fret for yonks without any ill efffects.

Dave

DaveWW said:
HTo say it causes internal splinting is complete rubbish. .

Dave

Of course, each person is entitled to take on board and dismiss what they want. For others who are unsure, contact a range of luthiers in the UK for there take on it.

But I will go with the Luithers , they seem to know there stuff :wink:

I dont think it is very contructive calling information from the experts Rubbish ? Thats very dismissive.( without Proof )

Hi BillyWizz,

Maybe I should just chill out but................ As you say I don't have proof but I've used it myself for donkeys years without ill effects. Also the manufacturers say it; cleans strings, lets you play faster, brightens sound, prolongs fingerboard life, long lasting, won't damage finish and won't soil or stain - nobody seems to have sued them yet.

They are still selling it and a few google searches seem to back up my opinion and lots of others I've talked with over the years that it's good stuff. I even noticed a few luthier recommendations.............

So I don't think I should let you just slag off something that I think is good without proof of your own - just a vague reference to UK luthiers.

Dave

I like the idea of using baby oil on the girlfriends tits ...now if I could only convince the wife.....

rgrabows said:
I like the idea of using baby oil on the girlfriends tits ...now if I could only convince the wife.....

Get your wife to rub it on the girlfriends tits . Thats what wifes are for :wink:

If you place the neck just below her arse, you can do the fretboard at the same time . Thats a free tip

Tip 2 is to make sure the machine heads aint stuck up her arse.

I was thinking of one of these for myself - do you know if they have a slim neck profile like the current Gibson 335 models or the larger 50's neck similar to the Tokai LP's (I've got an LS80F with the larger neck profile)

Inbetween.Not fat not slim, I would say Tokai '59 (slimmer than Gibson 50's).I feel Gibson 50?s a bit wide and Gibson 60?s slim(I tried both).Tokai necks are fantastic to my hands( small)....
ES necks are a little thin on first frets hoever but very comfortable.

I've also used Fast Fret for years (prolly over 20), with no apparent ill-effects on my '64 Strat, or any of the others I've used it on.
I usually wipe it on the STRINGS, though, rather than apply it directly to the fingerboard itself....

However, I've seen discussions like this before re. proprietary fretboard oils/cleaners on other forums, & more than a few luthiers/experts nearly have apoplexy about what is in some of them. - & thats without even mentioning the dreaded "S" word (silicon!).

About the only one nobody panned - for good reason, see link - was "Fret Doctor", ...and many went so far as to recommend it too.
http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
...LOTS of interesting reading there, & he carefully goes through WHY you shouldn't use many of the other types of oil, with some graphic examples & pics.

My own recommendation would be to just use Fret Doctor on your guitars,
...and save the Johnson's Baby Oil for some of the other more interesting activities mentioned above.
tongueout.png

Latest posts

Back