Callham block on a Springy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if a Callham steel block will fit on a Springy Sound? If not, are there any others that will fit?

I also have a JV-85 strat, do you know if the Callham will fit this?

Thanks

On my ST-60 (1980) the original (Gotoh?) block is already steel, so no need for replacement.

On my ST-80 (also 1980) the block and top-plate is one complete die-cast unit made of Zamak, so my luthier friend Simon Pinder is installing a Callaham block and top-plate.

(Zamak, often called "pot metal" or "white metal", is an alloy of zinc containing aluminium, magnesium & copper. It is quite soft & was originally used - since the 1920's - for making die-cast toys, like "Dinky" & "Corgi Toys" etc. , it's now often used as a substitute for lead (!!!) in wheel balancing weights ...& is not optimal for musical instrument parts!)

Upgrading to the Callaham has not been a simple drop-in re-placement : -
The six screws that hold the top plate to the ST-80 guitar body were almost 1mm further apart on the Callaham plate (& the current Gotoh, incidentally), so Simon has had to plug, re-drill & re-tap the holes. The string spacing is also very slightly wider, around 0.5 mm.

We've been able to use the original TOKAI-stamped saddles with the Callaham block & top-plate, so outwardly there'll be no change in overall appearance.

I should hopefully be getting the guitar back this weekend or early next week (it also needed a re-fret, re-wire & re-finish), and I'll post my thoughts after a gig or two with it.

Bill

Thanks for the info, mine is a 1980 ST-80. It definetely has a zamak block but I haven't checked that the block & top-plate are one unit or seperate.

I didn't realise the six mounting holes were different, I think I'll stick with the original if this is the case, it sounds great as it is, unless your luthier friend wants to fabricate another :wink:

I'll be interested to know what you think of any improvements in tone when you get the guitar back.

John

i've been emailing calaham about the steel block he offers. the vintage block is close to tokai specs. his vintage specs are

Vintage Strat
6-Pivot Bridge
2 7/32 center to center b/w E strings.
2 7/32 center to center between outside
pivot mounting screws.

my measurements on my st 80 are center of first pivot screw to center of last pivot screw = 2 6/32"

e string to e string(measured from rear of trem block) = 2 5/32"

these are close, but i might have to tap and dye too right?

are these measurements consistant with other springys?

how big is the tone difference anyway?

Have a look at the Wilkinson range of replacement tremolo's there is one which is vintage styled. 6 screw type, but has a universal fitting. One of the screw holes is elongated. Further to this the block is Steel

Have a look on this website at the range

www.axerus.com

?26.50 CLICK IMAGE FOR DETAIL (CHROME BLACK OR GOLD) WILKINSON STAMPED TREMOLO UNITS

A CHROMEA GOLDB CHROMEB GOLDC CHROMED CHROMED BLACKF CHROME
WILKINSON FAT STEEL BLOCK WITH ALL FITTINGS SUPPLIED

ALL 2 1/8" STRING SPACING

A & B= 2 3/16" SCREW SPACING

C= MODERN TO VINTAGE CONVERSION 2 3/16" STUD CENTRES

D&E&F= UNIVERSALL FITTING (SLOTTED OR KNIFE EDGE)

STAGGERED BLOCKS , PUSH IN TREM ARM, ALL 2 1/8" STRING SPACING,

I changed the tremolo on my ST-100 no problem, no re-drilling and the tone improved.

Calaham is the best though if your willing to shell out the extra dosh

villager said:
why is callaham the best?

steel is steel for tonal purposes surely...

callaham is the best KNOWN yes....

You may be right, but they use the same grade US steel are the original Fenders

They are the most vintage correct

how much more string definition and sustain will we get with a steel block?

could the steel block take away some of the warmth? mabey making it more bright??????

I changed the tremolo on my ST-100 no problem, no re-drilling and the tone improved.

Calaham is the best though if your willing to shell out the extra dosh

chris, you were able to install the callaham with no adjustments on your st 100??

Good info. Project for the weekend then, install a wilkinson trem on my ST-80. I'll post my findings when I'm done!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wilkinson-Strat-bridge-steel-block-gold-or-chrome-WV6SB_W0QQitemZ320100706684QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ahhhh, those look good. but i want to keep mine as close to vintage looking/function as possible. callaham would be good, wonder if they make custom drillings.....

kmarccoco said:
ahhhh, those look good. but i want to keep mine as close to vintage looking/function as possible. callaham would be good, wonder if they make custom drillings.....

Put the original saddles back on and no-one would know the difference, apart from the push-in arm.

Going on with Callaham block I have a question too.What about a Silver Star?I guess '79 SS-36 has not a steel or iron and I think a steel one would improve tone on it.I know not being steel because I try a magnet and it was refused away from the block....

Latest posts

Back