That tone?????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer4ever

Reaction score
There's always threads about who's the greatest guitarist ever etc' etc' but what guitarist for you, has / had the best 'sound'' ever??

heres my shortlist in no particular order.

Eddie Van Halen.
Tom Scholtz.
Michael Schenker.
Mathias Jabs.

8) they all made me want to do it!

...still going strong... :lol:

- Dave Gilmour
- Mark Knopfler
- Eric Clapton
- Thomas Blug
- Danny Gatton

Roger

Interesting lists! For me the short list would be:

Robben Ford
Larry Carlton
Gary Moore

I'm forgetting a few, but that's what happens when you get old. :(

Bill

Michael Schenker
Billy Gibbons
SRV
Eric Johnson
Joe Bonemassa
Gary Moore
Paul Kossoff
EVH
Steve Morse
Steve Lukather
ME :p

Johnny Thunders (especially So Alone)
Angus Young (especially If You Want Blood & Powerage)
Ron Asheton (especially Funhouse)
Billy Duffy on Electric (**** playing though!)
Slash on Appetite (hasn't come close since & probably never will)
John Perry

I had heard about this artist for years, even lived in Dallas for 15 years from about 1987 until about 2002. In June of 1999, I finally went to a show to see this artist perform live, with Alien Love Child. I went on to see him perform 14 shows over the course of 29 months. I saw him perform his own compositions, covers, solo acoustic, piano, and he sings too. He is known as a guitarist but he is so much more than that.

The January 2000 recordings at Antone's in Austin, Texas for the Alien Love Child CD, 'Live and Beyond', truly showcased this artist's signature tone. ALC played three nights at Antone's, playing numerous covers, and original songs.

This artist is known for playing Strats, and I have seen him play quite a few but I have also seen him throw down on ES-335, SG Std., Les Paul Std., to name a few so, he is not a 'one guitar' artist.

His tone is NOT of this planet; he must be from another world.

His name is ERIC JOHNSON :)

The tone is all well & good, but you gotta have songs. Real songs with HEART, BALLS & FEELING. Many of my favourite artists are people whose tone I wouldn't especially rate, but the songs do it for me.

Guitargoblin said:
Billy Duffy on Electric (^&*( playing though!)
John Perry

So, are you saying these artists have songs that rate well, or are you saying they have tone that rates well?

I must be missing something

This is the poster's first comment.
"Johnny Thunders (especially So Alone)
John Perry"

This is what the poster said as a second comment.
"The tone is all well & good, but you gotta have songs. Real songs with HEART, BALLS & FEELING. Many of my favourite artists are people whose tone I wouldn't especially rate, but the songs do it for me."

This implies that he reveres the song over the tone, which is not what he implied in his original post so, that is confusing & misleading, IMO.

If he likes the artist's songs but, "wouldn't especially rate" their tone, then I suppose his first statement is moot, since the original question concerns tone.

So many of my favs have been listed (Warren Haynes 8) ) but I'll add Greg Martin to the tone list.

MIJvintage said:
Guitargoblin said:
John Perry

So, are you saying these artists have songs that rate well, or are you saying they have tone that rates well?

I must be missing something

Both.

Back