Trouble Dating my axe..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael,

I've tried, I believe the leadership at Tokai is different from what was their during the 70s/80s. I've been told there isn't any documentation.

My next attempt will be to try and get production numbers and dates hoping that maybe their is a lot number or something that will help.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

Hey Kent

Re the "50" sticker on the back of your Love Rock, model numbers and prices - I never said that "50" means "ST-50". I've been pointing out that the figure refers to the Japanese price. If you look further back on this thread, you'll see that Toneshun has an LS-50. Yours may be the same.

I can tell you that the LS320 price is 320,000 Yen, the ES-140 is 140,000 and I believe the same is true of the Flying Vee and SG models. Just to add more to the pot on model number relating (or not) to the replica year, there was an ST-80 (or TST-80) which I doubt very much is a replica of a 1980s Strat!

Barry

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

Thanks Barry,that makes perfect sense to me.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'kent']

Go on then boys here's one for ya -
I bought a tele/breezy last week, definately 80's - with the short lived CAPITALS logo it. It plays amazingly (neck is a work of art).
Questions:
What date is it probably?
What is the small sticker on the back of the neck "50" all about? (its an oval sticker where it joins the body)
Cheers,
Martin.

Martin, the sticker shows the model number, 50 should be a TTE50. I also have a TTE50 with the sticker intact but it has the Tokai spaghetti logo. I had a TST50 strat that I bought new in 1985, it also had the oval sticker. They didn't use the sticker on Love Rocks to my knowledge though, I have a 1984 TLS50 and it only has a made in japan sticker where the neck joins the body.

I finally bought the AST-56 Tokai.It is in very good shape.I am very happy with it,but i want to make it best.Can you tell me what do you do to get a great guitar?What about a Texas Specials pups,new pots and cloth wire?Could it be worthy?
Ned I will send you Tokai history next.It,s a little difficult for me to scan it,as the book is very tall.

I have 3 ast56's and two ast 62's I have left the 56's stock , they capture that maple "twang and brightness" but I put VanZant"s Vintage Strats in the 62's to get a warmer sound. If you do a 4 spring set-up with 11's and get the pick-ups set to an optimum you'll get a great 56 tone! Good Luck!

I was given an original Fender set taken from a 70,s USA Strato.I will give it a try.Maybe sound better than Tokai pups.

Hey Kent
The "50" sticker on the back of your Love Rock, "LS-50". This was the "entry model" Les Paul that tokai made in teh early 80's
Whilst the number does refer to the Yen price, the higher the number, the better the materials in the guitar. A TST-80 was a 1954 replica using better grades of wood and electrics than a TST-50 ( which was a 1958 replica).
All this was altered when the Letter and numbering system changed in 1986 with the release of the AST series.

actually guys, the "65" means that the guitar is "60" series (60,000 yen) with a custom colour ( add 5,000 yen)
This was the case up to the AST series in 1986

Hi Kent,
Those little oval stickers with the white or gold numbers are to indicate the model...hence yours is a Japanese TLS-50. Solid plain maple top, etc,
I do know this system was used on the Jap models thru to 1989 but I do not know about later models or Korean guitars.

Latest posts

Back