So which amp is your favorite?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few matamps. I've owned a 1224, I now own a GTL, a king street and a minimat.

I'm interested to hear what you make of the g12-65's. I'm a bit bored of my hot100's, and the g12-65's would be right fro my 2x12 power wise.

G12 65s sound great in my Matamp cab, but I'm not sure how much that's down to the cab construction, and how much it's down to the speakers. I chose the 65s for 2 reasons: 1) they were the stock speakers in Marshall cabs from the late 70s & early 80s, in other words the 2203/2204 MV era so I reckoned they'd be a good match for my Sovtek Mig100H which is very 2203 2) they have a sensitivity level of 97dB, which makes them noticeably less loud than Vintage 30s or G12Hs which are frankly too loud with an amp like the Sovtek.
To give you an idea, I have an oversized late 60s (ie well-built) Marshall 2x12 cab that 's got a Vintage 30 paired with a G12H30 anniversary. It's the cab I use for my Mig50 & it's LOUDER than the Matamp 4x12 with the 65s which I use for My Mig100 (though it doesn't help that the Mig50 doesn't have a MV).
The 65s are like greenbacks but with less breakup, a tad more volume & more note definition OR like G12Hs but with less volume, darker mids & a bit more "sponginess" or compression when driven hard.
I should add that mine aren't fully broken in yet.

riffpowers said:
In that case I think I'll like em.Shame they're so expensive!!

Yeah, there is that. In my case, Matamp didn't mark up the price much. They gave me a hell of a deal, but I guess they get a special dispensation from Celestion. I like the fact that the Heritage spks are still made in the UK, though. As much as I understand the need for a company to remain competitive, I can't glibly overlook the fact that the PRC is still a brutal dictatorship & that most of their manufacturing industry is in the hands and pockets of leading party members.
But that's for another forum I guess

Guitargoblin said:
riffpowers said:
In that case I think I'll like em.Shame they're so expensive!!

Yeah, there is that. In my case, Matamp didn't mark up the price much. They gave me a hell of a deal, but I guess they get a special dispensation from Celestion. I like the fact that the Heritage spks are still made in the UK, though. As much as I understand the need for a company to remain competitive, I can't glibly overlook the fact that the PRC is still a brutal dictatorship & that most of their manufacturing industry is in the hands and pockets of leading party members.
But that's for another forum I guess

I agree with you, another reason not to buy orange!!
Jeff doesn;t make much profit on speakers, thats why the prices are so low.
Might have to save up for a set.

villager said:
tech 21 trademark 30...for a transistor amp its wonderfull...

no fav on valves as yet..

Hi Villager,
What are the candidates for fav valve amp?

I still haven't found anything better than my 1993 US Fender Blues Deluxe. Tweed finish, all valve, 2 channel, 40w 1x12. They didn't make them long before replacing them with the Hot Rod series, which sounded awful, to my ears anyway. Lots of gain, but no tone or subtlety. Fender are making the Blues Deluxe again, but in Mexico now, & I'm told they're not as good.

The only other amps that would tempt me would be a Blues Deville, which is the 4x10 version, but that can wait until I get my own personal roadie! The 63 Vibroverb reissues were gorgeous sounding amps, but were only single channel (well they had 2 channels but no master volume), and I think I'd miss the master volume control.

I recently bought a Fender Blues Junior for use at home, but I still prefer the sound and versatlity of the Blues Deluxe, even at living room volumes.

Mike

Nice Vibroverb, Gottfried!

Just bought a handbuilt tube amp by Michael Swart called the Atomic Space Tone. Based on Valco and Gibson amps, with reverb and vibrato, 20 watts with a 1X12, it sounds amazing with a Strat. I also sold off the '71 Vibro Champ and bought his 5-watter, the Space Tone to keep handy.

If you google swartamps, you'll find his site. Great stuff, and not astronomically priced, yet. Also, excellent sound clips by a player named Greg V.

Steve

Hello all, i have an amp i've had for about 15 years now a fender 650 performer, this would have to be the best allround amp i've ever played through. It isn't my first preference of amp for live playing but the fact that you loose very little tone at low volume makes it a keeper. It is rated at 70 watts but sounds just as good being played on low volume and i love it :p .

My B52 Transistor amp is still doing well for me.
100 watt 2x12 but I run it through a 4x12 celestion Quad.
My little Fender Frontman(made in Mexico) is surprisingly good.
And I've recently been testing out the B52 Valve amps.
100 watt head/2 gain channels and one clean.
65watt 1x12 combo/1 gain channel/1 clean.
At $2,500 AUD I won't be rushing out to purchase one anytime soon sadly :(

togps said:
XLarge said:
... Sure.
1x15 !!!

Back of the Vibroverb. Equipped with an old JBL ..

BEAUTIFUL........
Can I know the price of this beauty ?
Are you selling it ?
Only for info, because I can't afford these $$$$$
Infact I have Brown face Reissue ! :p

Latest posts

Back