Tokai Logos?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Since the late '80s when you could still pick up Tokais in junk shops for £120 I've been fascinated with these guitars. Not least because of the sheer lack of information available on the older models that has given them something of a 'mythical' status amongst enthusiasts.

I have a lovely cream '62 Strat copy that has "Made in Japan by Rock n' Roll fanatics" (excellent line!) on the headstock and a simple block TOKAI logo (not the curly gold logo Fender stlye logo that Fender sued them for). I've been told that this marks it down as one of the newer models but I bought it in a pretty used condition in 1993. I've not seen many with this bold, block logo and would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this as to how old it may be? It has a serial number of L 05027.
Thanks.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Nick Mair']

wish i could help you nick, but im just as confused as you are. i believe tokai was a lot more prolific at building different model guitars than anyone realizes. i know they have sold different models in the states than overseas for a lot of years.personally, i have never seen one with a block logo in the u.s. as you describe.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'alan hendrix']

This is a new one on me also. Do you think you could supply Ned with a photo of the headstock? It would be a good idea for us to start a collection of headstock photos and try and put them in order of date. I have some that I've kept but nothing like what you describe.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rob']

I have an AST-'56 Tokai..Here is what I have learned: Tokai had made there copies to surpass the original models ie. Fender, Gibson, with there logo being the only way to tell the difference..
Thus creating the Law Suit...Whether this is true I like others have no way to prove or validate...
I was told that Fender had bought one of Tokai's factories just to keep them from making their copies... If nothing else Tokai caused the majors to produce a better quailty guitar...

[Anonymously Posted by: 'BRUCE HENDERSON']

I had a red TST-62 (I guess) in late 1983, and it had a black Tokai logo, which looked like block capitals. My later TST-56 (?) from 1987 had a gold sort of Fender-ish logo. In Belfast in the early 80s, when these guitars were being spoken of in hushed tones, this was the common logo. The shop that semed to be thier distributor was Matchetts Music in York Road, which I've seen mentioned on the web a few times. Does this help?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Stephen McBride']

The black block lettered TOKAI / "Made in Japan by ..." came after the spagetti / "This is the exact replica ..." but still using the Springysound name , and before the gold curly Tokai / "The quality musical instruments .." Goldstar guitars. Does this help ?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'John Matthews']

Coming late to all this. My Tokai Springy Sound has the same block/black TOKAI logo, the same "Made in ... fanatics" line and I bought it new in 1981 0r 82. Mine also has a painted headstock (Dakota Red to match the body) - I was wondering if its a transition guitar - perhaps the new paint +logo were applied over an old-style pre-lawsuit neck?

Barry

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry Plows']

Barry , if you want to compare your neck with a Lawsuit there's one in Reg Bank's in Crewe ( spagetti logo , body colour headstock so there goes your "cover-up" theory ! Fender's topline models had body colour headstocks)- I expect there'll be very little difference - no more than between two "identical" models - I have found that some Goldstars are much better than others despite being the "same" guitar from the same era.

John

[Anonymously Posted by: 'john ']

Thanks for the info. I knew high-end Fenders had painted headstocks, but had never seen such a Tokai before.

Barry

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry Plows']

Back