Tokai Guitars ( legal to sell in the USA ? ) (

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK ... so what is it ?
I've been told that new Tokai guitars are not allowed in the U.S.
And also understand there are several stores in Canada that are selling them.
So what is the TRUE STORY.
Are they disallowed in the US and not Canada?

Obviously they are allowed into Canada and most Canadian music stores will ship into the US. Also G.S. Universe - see link page - will ship into the US from Japan. I believe that Tokai's are currently not allowed to be distributed into the US. Don't know why. I have heard rumors that they will be rebadged (Tokai's that are called something else) and be sold in the US. We'll see.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

Actually,
Not all models are banned from U.S.A. distribution.
The Talbo, Talbo bass, Talbo woody, Cat's Eye's acoustics, and several other models will be available soon.
ONLY the lawsuit models (such as Love Rocks, Strat's, and Tele's) are disallowed in the USA.
I will be keeping Ned up to speed as to when they will be available.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tokai Guitars USA']

I see that the Talbos have arrived. Am I to assume that the door is officially closed on the other models in ALL of North America??

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

Barry,

From what I have been told by Tokai is that the Gibson replica models will no longer be imported into North America because of copyright issues with Gibson. Grab one from Canada while you can or try Guitar Universe in Japan or a dealer in the UK.

I just got my second one from Mike [for some reason this one is HEAVIER in weight] & I'm glad I got in before "Last call for Love Rocks". After swapping out some pickups & spending some "seat time" with them, I'm finding a new vocabulary by not having a tremolo & all the dive bomb patterns I used to fall into. I was stuck in a rut in my playing. Both of them have that FAT LP tone like Randy Rhodes, ZZ Top, etc. I even found myself playing Allman Brothers riffs, Free [All Right Now] & even some Al Di Meola riffs!! "Where the f**k did THAT come from??" This experiment is far from over as I continue to be inspired by these instruments. I would not have considered trying this with real Gibsons. I don't like the necks or the prices! Once again, I hope everyone enjoys their Tokais as much as I do.

Barry,

You mentioned this was your second Tokai from Mike's. What model did you get and what was the first one you bought? Obviously you had a good experience with Mike's seeing as you bought from him a second time, correct.

The first one I bought from Mike was the Cherry Burst LE. I really bought it on a lark as a toy. Could they really be THAT GOOD to incite this following? I had been looking at the Epi's in the catalogs as well but I was not very enthusiastic about them. I bought a new Epi 6/12 some years ago & the neck shapes, finish, electronics, etc.. were pretty uninspiring. I threw all the pickups away!
As I spent time with this first Love Rock, I found my vocabulary INCREASING! [I left out Gary Moore & John Sykes in my previous post.] Now this "toy" has become an irreplaceable commodity. Then, as I see the door closing on them, I ran to buy another one. This later one looks kind of like a LEMON burst & has flames across the top. Very impressive! Paid around $1100 for BOTH of them & am completely satisfied. BTW, Dan Torres has Seymour Duncans for $59 & some other cool stuff for guitars & amps.

Do you know where i can buy a tablo 120SH in CANADA? I know there are stores in Ontario, but i live in alberta and don't wanna drive all across the country, and if i buy one, will there be complications?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kenny ']

Check out http://www.tokaiguitars.com
New Tokais?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'evybaby']

These are guitars made in the Tokai factory and branded Diodati (sp) to potentially get by the import rules. This is a special deal. Not sure I agree with the page as it is made to appear that this is a official Tokai website, which it is not.

For clarification purposes this is the same shop as Pete's Trading Post on the links page.

Latest posts

Back