Bridge Height

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sscanlan

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly apologies for the post length.

Up until about an hour ago I was happy with the playing action of my LS70, even though I was putting up with a fair bit of fret buzz. Then I bought home my new cheapo Dean (2nd hand off ebay) and found that I get no buzzing at all, not a little bit. Three things that I noticed are different on the guitar:

1 - If I hold the Dean side on at 12 O'clock the neck is only slight off to the left...whereas the Tokai is noticably further to the left (is this neck relief?)
2 - In a previous search to remove the buzzing I raised the action on the Tokai by using the thumbwheels on the bridge but they now appear to be very high compared to the Dean. 8mm above the body on the low string side and 6mm on the high side. The Dean is maybe 1 or 2mm high.
3 - With a capo on the 1st fret and me fingering at the final fret the Dean has about 2mm of gap at the 12th fret whereas the Tokai is actually touching the 12th fret.

So the question is (finally I hear you say!!) how do I set my lovely Tokai up to have the same action as my cheap knock around guitar? I could raise the bridge even higher but I'm concerned I move it so far that it comes out. Is there something wrong with the neck positioning? I'm really clueless on this sort of thing so would appreciate anything anyone can offer. Can produce pics if it would help?

Cheers
Spence

You may need a small truss rod adjustment (loosen it a bit). This will give the neck a little more bow, and may aleviate your fret buzz.

I'm not saying this WILL fix it, but it's the first place I'd go to fix fret buzz.

frpax said:
You may need a small truss rod adjustment (loosen it a bit). This will give the neck a little more bow....

Actually I think you tighten the truss rod to put more tension on it - thus giving the neck more bow or relief - loosening the tension allows the truss rod to relax - thus flattening the neck.

Popped into the shop I bought it from today to buy a new strap and asked the guy there (the owner I think) and he took a few minutes to talk me through what all the terms mean and the type of adjustment I needed. Made a 'test' run on the cheap guitar and them moved onto the Love Rock and have now sorted it out. Have to say that the idea was daunting to start with but when I got in there it was actually pretty easy!

marcusnieman said:
Actually I think you tighten the truss rod to put more tension on it - thus giving the neck more bow or relief - loosening the tension allows the truss rod to relax - thus flattening the neck.
I had to loosen my truss rod nut to get a bit more bow in it. Just did that a few days ago which is why it is still fresh in my mind. I'd never had to loosen one before to get more bow in it (with the exception of an old Strat that I was working on once).

Back