1959 Les paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
basically I'm going after a new ls-135 tokai next, and after I got that one, I'll start saving for an 80's ls-120 or 80...

After that I'll be happy, and quite broke too :lol: but then again I doubt I'll ever need more guitars :wink:

one more thing I forgot to say...

the ls-120 is far from holy grail ochay, that would be the ls150 or better yet the 200, but those are quite hard to come across, as you know :wink:

again theres no significant difference between the 120 and a 150 or 200.... more flame and different pickups...
and I have seen a couple of 150's which were less flamy than some 120's....

I know there aren't, more or less like a ls-135 and ls-230 of nowadays, but I guess if you want to call something the "holy grail", then you better go for the higher specs models... not the middle ones

yes..unless you consider DiMarzio PAF's to be more holy than DM Super distortions ..(the 150) but the 200 you could specify PU so i suppose it would be an LS-200 with dimarzio PAF for ochay..hehe

I'm going to be real careful on my personal preference in pickups after that thrashing I took on LPF-
Thats was Kool/Classic what you said on the LPF-- Villager you are my Hero !

ochay said:
I'm going to be real careful on my personal preference in pickups after that thrashing I took on LPF-
Yeah, that was ugly... but no worse than some of the thrashings I've taken on the Fender Forum talking about the crap that Corona has been turning out for years. You think the LPF is snobby? The FF is run with an iron fist by jack-booted thugs!

Humm if I could have gotten a ls-200 back in the day, I'm not really sure what I would choose as far as pickups went, most likely I'd try to get a hold of a "real" paf, at least for the neck position, maybe go with the dimarzio paf for the bridge... 8) that would be a good combo

I actually took the trouble of reading the whole LPF post... I think you actually went there with the intention to cause a little stir :lol: which is cool, after all they like to cause some fuss over here too from time to time. But really there are some very narrow minded opinions over there... like that guy who actually though tokais had a funny headstock no matter what country... I don't think there is any talk left to be done, after reading that guy's arguments and personnal acusations!

Other members had better reactions, but truly it's just a waste of time and energy to try and make a point over these things when people aren't even willing to allow you an opinion from the get go.

But unfortunetly that seems to happen everywhere nowadays. I always take other opinions with a grain of salt (especially internet ones), I'd rather try things out and then decide for myself.

villager said:
i would put peter florence voodoo's or dry Z's in any guitar i was keeping bruno, have you tried the voodoo's ..they are really good...

Ah I was actually refering to pickups available in the 80's

I haven't tried the voodoo's no... maybe in my future ls-80/120 :wink:

would you setup any of the guitars you sell with a pickup the buyer might ask for?

I too have read the whole post and thought I'd share in the fun. For over 20 years I have been a studio player and the one thing I definately know is that you can't read the headstock logo thru the playback speakers!! I simply only have really two criteria for buying ANY guitar, how does it sound and how does it play! I have been blessed to play many GREAT vintage Gibsons and Fenders but I have also played many that were not good tonally or played well at all, there is absolutely no doubt modern guitars are much more CONSISTENT useable instruments and most actually intonate well, try getting tuning right on a lot of vintage guitars.

Being from the States many folks over here really believe that the MIJ copies are like the first ones made in the late 60's or early 70's with low quality instruments, MANY have never played Tokai's,Burny's,Fernandes etc. and just can't believe these can be quality instruments. I have played probally over 100 les pauls in stores alone this year for fun and can tell you no doubt the regular Tokai Ls-80's on up are simply better than anything Gibson is putting on the shelves right now, period, unless you find a killer historic. You very rarely will pick up a new Gibson that resonates or plays as well, most are very dull sounding which the vintage ones have a more "open" sound. The only Gibson I have been impressed with is the recent Jimmy Page model, all of those I've sampled are stellar guitars, but so is my LS-90.

In all models and makes there are simply not so good guitars, good guitars, and a few really special examples. I would say half of the guitars I own are MIJ models and I use them all the time in the studio, and find they never get "blown away" buy the vintage models, they sound different but not "better". I own three les pauls, a Classic that's been modded and is a excellent guitar, a Tokai LS-90 and a Epi elitist, they All sound great but they are all different. I do find the modern Gibsons to be farther away from the tone of Vintage ones and the Tokai and Epi Elitist to be much closer to the tone of the true vintage guitars! Being more "open" in sound with better resonance. I'm sure that will upset some folks but it's the truth. Is it possible for A Tokai ls-120 to sound better than a Real "59 Burst"? Yep, No doubt about it!!

Bob

Interesting post, Bob. You obviously have experience of many guitars and it's great to hear the pro point of view.

bruno said:
Other members had better reactions, but truly it's just a waste of time and energy to try and make a point over these things when people aren't even willing to allow you an opinion from the get go.
The only result of reading such threads for me usually is an update of the "Ignore list" which forums with vBulletin software offer.

I don't go that far Hans, for one simple reason, I only visit the LPF so and so, I like to be registered, there are some cool posts from time to time, but I mostly just read...Since I have virtually no interaction there, I don't really need to ignore users... even though some of them really deserve to be ignored.

I can remember a famous guitarist that you ALL will know, telling me that a lot depends on the woods used,and that you dont get the best out of a guitar untill its at least 30years old when the woods mature.

So is this fact or fiction?? or should i have started another post.
Because its now 2006 and we have come a long way in 25years so why are we not building guitars that should knock the spots off anything that was made before. Just a small question :wink:

PS i had a Fender 1959 white strat when i was 16 in 1968 i paid ?60 with a case and then i sold it for ?80 because i made ?20 profit a lot of money then.But i dont recall it being anything special back then.All i wanted then was a LP or SG like my mates.So i bought an LP please dont ask :cry: im trying to forget about it.

Latest posts

Back