Which amp for your tokai???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
After thinking wether to put this topic in the general-amps section, I decided to put it here, since it's not general, but rather "tokai" related...

So here it goes, which amp do you prefer with your tokai (old or new tokai doesn't matter)... forget your effect pedals, I just want to know what your all time favourite is with you tokai/s, and if possible, which other amp would you like...

I'll start this off:

Right now my favourite is my tweed deluxe (homemade with the ls-145 it's pura chess records tone)

I'd also like either a jtm45 or hiwatt dr-504... probably will build one of these soon.

Well that really depends upon the pickups/guitar type:

For single coils on my Springy's and Breezy's, I prefer my 66 Fender Super Reverb or 66 Pro Reverb in a smaller venue.

For humbuckers on Love Rocks, SG, ES335's and 175's, I'll go with my Bad Cat Cub 2 with reverb (boutique 15 watt Class A amp made by Mark Sampson who also made Matchless and now, Star amps)

For P90's on my 56 Goldtop Love Rock and on my SG Special, my choice is always my Magnatone 460.

I always play straight thru my amps - no pedals unless it's a Dunlop Uni Vibe for my non tremolo amps.

I agree about the pedals - if it's a good guitar and a good amp, why muck it up?

I replaced the original alnico Jensen 10s in my Vibrolux Reverb RI with a pair of Eminence L'il Buddy hempcone 10s, and the difference is amazing. Great tone at $54 apiece. The amp lost a bit of its high-end shimmer, but the mids and bottom end are tight and crisp - no more mud at all. Fairly clean with a sweet crunchy breakup. Eminence also makes a 12-inch hempcone (also licensed from Tone Tubby) called Cannibus Rex which is a lower cost alternative to the Tone Tubbys (Their 10s are $125.00 apiece :eek: , and I guess the 12s are higher priced.) Both the L'il Buddy and the Cannibus are ceramic magnets.

Really nice with the Silver Stars ands the Reborn Old. I'm still sorting out the speaker change with the Tokai ES-100 - the old speakers actually sounded better with this but the new ones are still being broken in.

At some point when I can save some bucks I'd like to go for a Carr Rambler. But in the meantime, the Vibrolux sounds pretty good with the Tokais.

LS-80 into the clean channel of a B52 2x12 combo with a ZoomG2 effects unit for amp modelling.
I use the overdrive channel of the amp as a boost for solos.
Works well for me and the amp beats my Marshall MGDFX hands down.

I've found that it doesn't matter which of my three amps I take for my two Love Rocks, because they show their characteristic tone over each combination, and I only have to add more or less presence, sometimes bass, and get my favorite sound.

Tomorrow I'll be playing in the band of my friend for the first time, and it'll be very interesting how we two will sound together. He still got that 1984 plaintop LS60 with Tom Holmes PAFs, but also many Strats and several vintage Fenders, two Matchless and one other amp where I've forgotten its name, but it's a known one as well. I'll probably take my '69 JMP 50 plexi combo to fit into his band, because it has a master volume which sounds pretty good.

Interesting thread. Any soundbites, Chap's? :D

I only have a Plexi20 so everything just gets shoved through that. Humbuckers through the treble and single coils through the bass channel. The only effect is a Dallas 'Rangemaster' treble boost which I only use with the 'Pauls and then through the bass channel.

Actually I lie. I've got an old 'Elpico' head which sounds great with the Goldstar but is rather bassy with humbuckers.

Hi!
As I?m an "Old School" Riff-Rocker, (but with a lotta blues in it) my winning amps are old Marshalls (2203, vert. inputs, with little mods), and the Diezel Einstein 100 Head which has a lotta british blood in its venes.
May be I make some soundfiles today, and post?m here!
nice sunday, "ACY"

Right, I'm not a pro - I'm one of those "bedroom" strummers, but I've got a teenage son who plays in a band and goes to music college.

I recently bought my first Tokai and the guy who sold it couldn't tell me which model it is. I've kinda worked out for myself that it's probably an LS90Q (not that it really matters if I'm wrong!). I absolutely love this guitar - great looks and feel and an awesome sound.

I've been playing it through an Electar (Gibson) Century DR60 and it sounded amazing. I then got an opportunity to get my hands on a Roland Blues Cube BC60, which is very rare here in the UK. I jumped at the opportunity because I thought it would suit my musical style better - classic rock and blues. WOW! Did I make a great decision. This amp combined with the Tokai gives me everything I want. I'm gonna sell my Electar and my Korg AX1500G effects pedal - don't need 'em anymore - I'm well and truly sorted!

Kid loves it too - but wants me to "give" him the Electar and Korg (typical!).

Cheers Tokaisers.

I use my LR with a Laney VC15 (10" Jenson speaker) tube amp. Great little amp with a brilliant sound. I tend to use just the guitars volume controls to go from clean-crunch-solo and the Laney is perfect for it. It needs an extension cab (2x10) for gigs, but because of the low power rating you can crank it all the way to get the output tubes cooking. Dunno what it's like with Strat type guitars but sounds amazing with the Love Rock and a PRS Soapbar. With a strat it would probably need an overdrive pedal for full on rock sounds but with more powerful pickups there is plenty of gain.
They are good value for money too. You can easily find them for well under ?300 (GBP), and they are self biasing (as long as you change the output tubes with a matched set). One of the best buys I've ever made, I much prefer it to my old fender tube amps.

My love rock goes through a cornford hurricane, occasionally boosted with a BYOC rangemaster or tubescreamer kit pedals.

Iv'e only had my LS70f for a few weeks
But it plugs into my trusty old Fender Super 60(all valve)

Played it at 2 gigs now, man thats all I need , clean channel is so smooth & warm, OD channel is (gain at 4 Vol to suit) creamy ,sweet OD Love it!!

I also play a Fender Strat MIJ 56 Ri & a Gibson Les Paul Jr, same amp
The Jr is a howler (P90) must use it for some songs!!

spikeymikey said:
Interesting thread. Any soundbites, Chap's? :D
I listed all our available band demos here with a short description of the gear I used for each song:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28073#28073

That old Marshall combo has only been recorded once though (with half of my Marshall cab, not with his own speakers), but that will probably change soon.

My main guitar is not a Tokai but a G&L Comanche and I LOVE the sound of that through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Especially with a 4x10 extension cab!!

BUT... with my LS150 I love to use a Marshall... DSL 50 is my fave, but as I don't personally own one I tend to use my Tokai through the Fender and a tube driven OD pedal, which is dead nice!

I have been known to borrow a DSL for gigs though! :D

18watt clone.The tweed deluxe does not like humbuckers at all, and the P90s just so so....To my surprise,my Tokais work excellent on a Pro tweed clone 12"(15" on the way...),this amp is really fantastic and highly recomended,great Fender clean sound and works great with P90s....

I've always been a firm believer in the Les Paul + Marshall equals tonal nirvana. Therefore I run my LS-320 into a Marshall Silver Jubilee and DSL-100.

For bedroom stuff I use a VOX valvetronix the 60 watt version with blue dog 12" speaker-I love it.

Rock!!!!

buckwild said:
I've always been a firm believer in the Les Paul + Marshall equals tonal nirvana. Therefore I run my LS-320 into a Marshall Silver Jubilee.......

Hey Joe, is the Silver Jubilee the limited edition model with the silver tolex? I've never seen one.....pictures?

For humbuckers: Sovtek MIG 100H through 2x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s (not my fave cab or speakers, but until I can afford something better, it'll do)

For P90s: Ashdown Peacemaker 60 2x12 combo w/ G12Hs

Only one of my guitars is a Tokai, but this rule is fairly universal

Back