Les Paul Reborn LS-60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Folks

Does any one out there know if these guitars from the late 70's had a solid maple top or maple top with a flame veneer?

Cheers

Hi Lee,

These models had a solid maple top - no flame. The flame -tops did not start until you got to the LS-100 series or higher.
This did change through the 1980's as models became more accessable but the cheapest "Flamed" top model was the TLS-80 until the release of the LS-65 series in the 1990's. These models obviously had laminate or "photo-flame" on the tops.

regards
Peter

Thanks Peter. I'm only familiar with the Love Rocks from the early 80's. I've seen a couple of Reborn models on Ebay and was wondering what the spec was on these early models.
Cheers
Lee

I have a 1978 Les Paul Reborn that has a two-piece maple top, no laminate. No flame really, some quilting.

Interesting. Well you live and learn. Any chance of a pic for us to gawp at Col?

L

I have a Tokai Les Paul model Reborn, which I found out just recently that it is a 1978 LS60.

Now, what I don't know is, the pickups.

The front pickup is covered and the rear is a cream non-cover pickup. Probably the previous owner changed it, but the weird thing is, when I checked, there is an X mark at the back of BOTH pickups.

For your information, the pickup cover of the front pickup is soldered and can't be taken off.

Please help if you have any information.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Mac wrote:
These models had a solid maple top - no flame. The flame -tops did not start until you got to the LS-100 series or higher.
This did change through the 1980's as models became more accessable but the cheapest "Flamed" top model was the TLS-80 until the release of the LS-65 series in the 1990's. These models obviously had laminate or "photo-flame" on the tops.

Peter Mac-
Q:
I was wondering if you had access to a Catalog that has info about LS-65's that were sold in Europe starting with a ser# 92XXXX-The only info I have is in German....Just have not seen anything written to ponder at? Also how can I test um to see if they are lamanate's?
Thanks in advance,
M

Hi ochay,

Have a look at Page 7 in the 1989 catalog section for specs.
I was not involved with Tokai after 1989 so I do not have any solid info past this date, however the details would still be very close.
The top is definately a laminate - trust me on this.
All the catalogs I own from 1982 to 1989 have now been posted.
Javelin70 (Michael) may be able to help with European info - may even be able to arrange a translation??? I'm not sure but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
He's a nice guy and very helpful.

regards
Peter

Peter Mac: What relationship did you have with Tokai? I'm kinda new, so maybe I musta missed your connection with them... (I'm jealous also...)
Thanks,
Dave B.

Hi Dave,

I was the guitar tech for Tokai Music Australia who were the Tokai Guitar and Piano Importer and Distributor for Australia from 1981 through to 1988. Previously I worked for Norlin Music and a luthiers shop.

My "job" was to take new Tokais out of their case, set them up to a professional level (action, truss rod, electrics) prior to being sent to the retail shops. I actually have a set-up for stock Strat tremelos that makes them come back into tune.
This horribly demanding role also forced me to meet famous musicians and try to persuade them to use and endorse Tokai guitars or to support endorees visiting Australia.
It was a tough gig!!!

Peter Mac

nacamichi,

are you saying that your 2001 mij LS-65 is a solid FLAME top? or just a solid maple top?

Please understand we are talking about the LS-65 from 1989 - 94 that did have a laminated flame top on a solid maple cap. It is confusing because older models can still share the same model number with newer models even though the specs may be vastly different.
Clarity about year and serial numbers do help to avoid confusion.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac

The recent LS-65 models (my s/n 0104446) have a two-piece solid maple cap, no veneer. I've scratched my head once or twice when reading descriptions of this model number, not realising that Tokai seem to re-use model numbers!

These boys keep us on our toes. eh?

Peter mac,
Thanks for the info-
Can you tell me how to check, I'd like to take a couple of pics and post them of the laminate top.
Thanks in advance,
Ochay

Latest posts

Back