Guitar Lesson vs Learning From Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sscanlan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering taking some lessons from a local teacher. I think I'm a fairly competent strummer but nothing special and it takes me a while to learn new stuff so I'm thinking of taking some lessons but they're a tad expensive. Has anyone ever found a decent 'learning system' (aka A Book!!)?

I'm thinking of trying out The Principles by Jamie Andreas (http://www.guitarprinciples.com). Has anyone else tried this or anything similar?

Cheers
Spence

I've been taking lessons for about a year (after playing for 20).

Putting it bluntly I've learned more in 1 year than I ever thought possible.

Playing a bit helps because it more a case of refining knowledge than learning new. The imediate feedback and input really does make a difference as does being able to clearify stuff verablly and visually.

I'd recommend going with an RGT registered tutor as they are qualified to both play and teach.

Lessons are expensive - mine cost ?15 per 1/2 hour, but having said that I walk away with four weeks worth of practice material and my tutor is always available by phone. (I work on the basis of 1 lesson per month). The good thing about most tutors is that they are really flexible and adapt to what you need to do.

A good tutor will pick up where your playing is lacking and fill those gaps, be careful of the tutors who offer just help you learn a song or solo (that's great - but at the end of it you know one song and not much else)

Over the years I've used books, DVDs, websites, tutorial programs on the PC and so forth and they all help, but they're just not the same.

Some people will say taking lessons is uncool, or somehow means your natural ability is somehow lacking - I listened to people who said that early in my playing days and didn't realise until recently how much that had cost me in development. In a way taking lessons is logical - after all there are not many people who would drive a car without lessons, so whys the guitar any different?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look at the RGT website and think I'll grab a teacher of there. You say you have 1 lesson a month? The reason I thought it was too expensive was because I thought I'd need 1 per week...does that sound too often? I work normal hours so have evenings and weekends to play\practice but can't play every night.

It sounds like you're in a similar position to myself - work and family commitments do limit practice time.

I have found another benefit to lessons is that the "homework" gives a lot of structure to practice - essentially as most things involve practice I see the tutor's job is giving you the tools to practice then assessing your progress.

Of course spacing of lesson depends a lot on what your covering and how far you progress - I find that 1 per month works well for me. I would definitly say that one a week is too often - unless your able to nail the stuff covered in the lesson in that time.

The best tutors will be able to judge how often you should visit - if a tutor tells you to come every week or makes that a condition I'd look elsewhere (very unlikey from a registered tutor).

Cheers again. I've contacted one of the tutors from RGT so I'm going to (hopefully) start in the next couple of weeks. How long does each of your lesson's last? The tutor charges on a half hourly basis but that seems a little short?

Hi Spence

Same Deal - I pay 15 quid for a half hour lesson - it seems expensive, but the way I look at it that 1/2 lesson equates to a months worth of work. I aim to get everything I need covered in the half hour then practice it to death over the next four weeks. My tutor produces loads of paper work and paper based exercises. He also supplies baking tracks and so on.

When I compare that to the numbers of books and stuff I'ver bought that just say the same old thing it becomes even better value !!

I spoke to the tutor tonight and arranged a lesson. He said to start with half an hour is easily enough but if I need more to practice then we can do some more. Cheers for the advice Bruce, wouldn't have gone for the lessons with out it.

Good call. I started lessons a year or so ago after 20+ plus years of thinking I could play badly. I too have have learnt more in the last year than I ought to admit in public.

If you've got family then early mornings are good - especially if you want to dish out some pay-back to the kids for the night before. :wink:

Don't suppose you ride a bike too, do you? Bruce - you'll get that one
:D

Bunbury

Hi All,
The caged system, triads, whole notes, tonic root notes 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2notes, 64ths? AAAAHHHHGGGGGGG...wheres it all end?
I've been jacking around with my bass for over 20 years. And I'm still learning by ear... I thinks it's due to a mental block that was instilled in me at a young age by my mother. She broke my plastic horn accross a table because I was sounding it off in my cousins ear. I know, I know, Grow up and get over it right? Well 'I have. So What I found is there are alot sites that have free tutorials that one can work on about anything at their own pace.
Fender, and Gibson both offer lessons to a registered user for free. Also, there is I Love Guitar.com, And the one I enjoy the most is The Guitar Alliance.com, both have free news letters and a wide range of lessons from the beginner, to the advanced player. I suppose it matters what works best for the individual, available time, patience and willingness.. Good luck guys and as I always say...

Keep on Rockin On 8)

Don't suppose you ride a bike too, do you? Bruce - you'll get that one

Absolutely - returned to it after a 10 year lay a couple of years back, Sunday mornings have never been the same since...........especially when meeting a Chav in a Honda Civic.........that's Ninja party time!

Back