HELP! Truss rod Adjustment

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratman_101

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the truss rod on a 1985 love rock. I like a flat neck and mind has a slight bow. thanks.

Easiest way is to take it to your local guitar tech and ask him to do it. If your not too sure about adjusting truss rods, then it's best to stay clear. Or if your feeling adventurous try googling truss rod or something.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

one example.

sometimes that bow in the neck is refered to as relief and its there to stop the strings buzzing. I am all on for experimenting with your guitar setups but if you are asking the question on here, for a 1985 love rock, i think a trip to a good guitar tech would be the best idea.

If you are gonna have a go anyway, only make 1/8 turn adjustments and leave it to settle for a day before you turn it again, always remember your starting point, it just might be the best

good luck...

To remove the bow (i.e. straighten), tighten the truss rod, by turning the wrench to the right, while looking down the neck, fretboard up, toward the guitar. As Declan said, don't do more than an 1/8th of a turn.

I adjust my truss rods all the time and have never had a problem, as long as I'm not too agressive and am willing to wait for things to settle, which usually means a couple of hours or so.

Hope this helps.
-- Bill

Slightly off thread, but still relevant, has anyone seen that PLEK process they can do with necks?

It's cool a they use a "laser" (Dr Evil accent optional) to measure your neck - a computer then maps it and works out the best settings. It then does a fret dress (to match your desired action) in about 9 mins and is accurate to 0.001mm. Chandler guitars have one of the machines in the UK.

Theres a PLEK discussion going on in one of the other forum categories

That's great - I missed that one one - I'll check it out, only found out about it the other day and it looks amazing,

Thanks for the advice. I actually gave it a try last night and I'm very happy with the results. The tip on 1/8 at a time turn was a good one. In my case I only need a hair adjustment, so, less than an 1/8 at a time is my suggestion for anyone needing a very slight adjustment. Again, thanks.

By the way, why does this site have an area for Tokai's older that 1985. That would mean 1984 and older. Are they any better than my 1985 Love Rock? Just curious. Thanks

May I recommend Dan Erlewines book 'How to make your electric guitar play great'. Crap title but dead handy book. He also wrote a repair guide that is even better. Loads of info in them about truss rod do's and (more importantly!) don'ts.

That is a good book - it really cover everything you need to know to do a pro setup.

I think there's a companion book on repairs too.

Latest posts

Back